Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: Convert digital to analog odometer?

I can get the PCM to learn the IP Theft-Lock code, you turn the key on and the THEFT light blinks for 10 minutes. After that she starts right up. If you disconnect the IP cluster while car is running, the PCM interprets it as a broken wire and will allow the car to start normally even with the IP missing altogether. I think if I can get a replacement bulb for the LCD I can get the '99 odo working again. No bulb is listed because the friggin' FACTORY MANUAL still has the analog odo featured in '99, I guess they didn't get the memo. :blam: EDIT: This is a common problem, and the bulbs are not available. I may have to McGiver something.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
DONE! So here's the deal- I was able to swap from digital back and forth to analog, no problem. The VSS feed was interpreted by whichever of the IP cluster computers I used and mileage displayed just fine. BUT, the rest of the data got scrambled because '99 was an oddball year and the '95- '98 IP's didn't jive with it. SO, I replaced the totally unobtainable 3v odometer bulb with a 12v directional signal bulb in the same odo PC holder but I wired it to the IP lights so it only comes on when the running lights are on. That way it's not on all the time and should last longer. I figured the brilliant engineer who specified a low voltage bulb for longevity, but neglected serviceability, needn't know he was outdone by a retired mailman. The '99 IP works just fine now and all is well. :mrgreen:
P6180416.jpg

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Patience? I'm just the original cheap-ola! I ain't paying a dealer $600 to "repair" this thing. :rofl:

J3

Greasemonkey
Jan 1, 2009
East TX
Very interesting thread - credit to you for sticking with it and figuring out how all that works!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
J3 I found out something else. The IP computer is pretty smart. I put a switch in the wire that grounds the DRL relay so I could turn them off. No good, as the IP knows something is wrong and the DRL icon flashes until I turn them back on, and start the car all over again. Also my gas gauge wouldn't work, so the '95 IP is not compatible with the '99 PCM, except for the odometer.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
None of this really impacts me, but I wanted to say thanks for coming back and completeing the thread...sux to find topics (on whatever the case) that never come to a resolution. :banana:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You're welcome. I agree totally. People, please post your outcomes, good or bad. Otherwise we don't know what worked or didn't. Then we all can learn. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor