Converting column shift to floor shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Hey everyone! So I'm on the hunt for a Monte SS to start my rebuild, and am coming across a bunch of column shift cars. Now mine (front end/frame was totaled in an accident, but interior is perfect) is a floor shifter, so I have all of the parts necessary including steering column, shifter, cables, transmission (I WILL be using my engine/trans/rear no matter what car I buy), center console, bucket seats, etc.

What I'm asking is 1. Is there a tutorial/video/thread I can check out to see the process? 2. Is this a good option for me, since it opens up a lot more cars to my search? 3. How feasible is this in a home garage with simple tools? 4. What else would I need to purchase to make this swap work?

Thanks in advance!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Swap your existing column and all transmission/backdrive linkages to the new body. You have some brackets on the floor for the console that will need removing and rewelding onto your "new" car transmission hump. Do the measurements before cutting everything. Also, drill a hole in the floor for your shift cable to go. Simply use your old car as a pattern. Other than the shifter location, it's pretty much a simple swap. I can't think of anything else you'd have to modify. Well, you may need to find the harness where the console lamp would go. At least I think it's got a lamp in the glovebox. You'll need to swap the inner bucket seat mounts and inner seat belt buckles too as the bucket inners are different than the bench.

Nice thing is, your carpet in the old car is ready to go right into the new one. No cutting!!!!

Shouldn't be a whole lot else. I'm going strictly off the top of my head. I might be missing something.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor