Converting from column shift to floor shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
how would one go about puting a floor shifter into a '84 monte carlo that has a column shifter? trans is a TH350 btw. Ive got a floor shifter out of an '80 camaro. Could i just mount it on the trans tunnel and run the shifter cable down there?

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
no one???

Attachments

• 005-1.jpg
    005-1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 233

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
It's fairly simple but a lot of work, bolt the bracket on trans pan, tuck the cable out of the way in the trans. well, and connect to your shifter that you bolt in.

(& remove the lever/link from the old set up)

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
when you say remove the lever and link are you talking bout the linkage down by the trans that, has a spring pressed against the frame rail? The reason i ask is because my camaro was an auto floor shifter and there was and actual cable runner from the shifter. But there was also some other linkage, like some rods. there was also a spring being held against the frame by one of the rods. sorry if thats hard to understand, i dont know nearly as much about trannys as i do motors.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
loudvolvo said:
when you say remove the lever and link are you talking bout the linkage down by the trans that, has a spring pressed against the frame rail? The reason i ask is because my camaro was an auto floor shifter and there was and actual cable runner from the shifter. But there was also some other linkage, like some rods. there was also a spring being held against the frame by one of the rods. sorry if thats hard to understand, i dont know nearly as much about trannys as i do motors.

ya, that's the one. It should be held on with a cotter pin somewhere on the firewall

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
loudvolvo said:

My 79 is a console floor shift car and has this linkage on it also. Don't know why, but I am keeping it in place. Not taking things off the car that I don't know what they do, may regret it later.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
On a floor shift car it connects the shifter/trans to the steering column, so that the backup lights and park/key lockouts work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor