Converting gas tank for lt1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ingersoll113 said:
ingersoll113 said:
JERMzSS said:
ok I just check Rockauto.com and they still show to have some of these and trust me. Unless your the luckiest person on the planet you wont find a used one this cheap.

SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # FG156A Includes Fuel Sender, Float and Strainer (Fuel Pump Not Included)

$94.79

^^ you can modify that to run a inline pump or mount a pump to it.

Checkin it out now, Thanks...

So if I use this part, I could use an inline pump and have a return and a vent. As long as I don't run low on gas, why is it so important to have baffles? I notice on rockauto that the 1986 4.3 monte and the 1980 malibu have the same GM3C tank, please un confuse me.

When I had my unbaffled tank my car would die with a little less than half a tank on a hill. The bad part is that it wouldnt start back up because the sump wasn't completely sumerged so if you were stopped in traffic on a hill and it died you would be in trouble.

If you run without the baffled tank just make sure to keep it toped off as much as you can. Another solution is to convert your tank to this bottom sump set up since your considering a inline pump. Im assuming you can keep your factory sending unit and uses one of the tubes as a return and still keep your vent.

something like this....i think jegs and summit make kits for this

sump1.jpg

the gn setup would be the easiest but for my ls1 swap i'm running an inline pump with the stock 84 cutlass tank. my car was a carb car and has no pump in the tank, just the two lines coming from the tank. larger one to feed, smaller to return. i had to remove a little baffle that was in the smaller tube to make it flow freely. the ls1 fuel pressure is a ridiculous 58psi, so hopefully the lt1 doesn't need all the massive amount of -an line and what not

I could run 1/4 tank with no pickup issues at all either cornering or stopping on grades on either the Impala or the '75 Formula. Iy you got problems at half tank your pickup tube is broken off or something! :mrgreen:

I appreciate the input guys. Really helps to bang ideas around. Gonna try the switched line and see how it works. Not trying to cheap out just seems logical to vent the tank through the cap and run the lines.

Thanks

ingersoll113 said:
I appreciate the input guys. Really helps to bang ideas around. Gonna try the switched line and see how it works. Not trying to cheap out just seems logical to vent the tank through the cap and run the lines.

Thanks
You are dead on, works like a charm as long as everything is in good shape. :wink:

I just bought a comp enginerring sump. It give direction and template to make it baffled. You drill 1 1/2 holes in the take where the sump goes. Theres your baffle.I ran push lock line for my high pressure feed line and used my old feed line for my retunr line! 66 bucks for the sump from Jegs. 35 for lines and fitting local hose shop. It can hold up to 320 psi it need be, even though I only need 43 on my lt1

wow lots to learn im going to put in a tpi in mine too man crazy but i did read im a mag that people are useing dubble fuel filter as a returnit has one on the tank side and two faceing the motor what do u guys think about that

I have no idea why people want to complicate these swaps, buy a good quality inline pump and use the vent for the return. If you don't have anything wrong inside your tank you can get down to 1-2 gallons with zero issues. I've done 4 of these and ever one is set up this way. My first one has around 40k miles on it now.

Randy_W said:
I have no idea why people want to complicate these swaps, buy a good quality inline pump and use the vent for the return. If you don't have anything wrong inside your tank you can get down to 1-2 gallons with zero issues. I've done 4 of these and ever one is set up this way. My first one has around 40k miles on it now.
i belive ya i think that what im going to do there was a few swap options here where i live from tpi to 6.0 ls but the 5.3 and 6.0 are out of trucks and sound like i would have to find lots of different stuff if i did that so ill just stick to the tpi i think that looks cool too LOL

Well, I know it's been a while, but I got the car running, but it definitely don't run using the vent for a return line. Going to switch them and let you all know the results. Been so long I had to google this post to find out what the heck to do..... Oh well at least I am still after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor