Converting to tubular a arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
The rubber ring goes on top of the spring to eliminate squeaking. Consider using new ones depending upon how shredded your existing ones are.
View attachment 198500

Looking up into the frame pocket:
Here is the ring taped onto the spring (supposed to be flat):

Oh oops okay, thanks for that note. I will order some. Surprised that moog don't pack them with the springs.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Yes they are junk, not using old ones. Have Bilsteins for front and back

For fronts shocks if they are junk, I just take a deep wheel socket on a long extension to bend the shaft a few times until it breaks off at the base,
i watched my dad do this a few times when i was younger,i thought he was nuts.make sure the socket fits sung.if the 9/16 socket's a little loose try a 14mm.as i got older,i realized he was..:)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
i watched my dad do this a few times when i was younger, i thought he was nuts, make sure the socket fits snug if the 9/16 socket's a little loose try a 14mm.as i got older, i realized he was..:)
The stud holding tool works fine if you are saving the shocks but using it on old rusted threads on shocks you are throwing away is a waste of time IMO.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
The rubber ring goes on top of the spring to eliminate squeaking. Consider using new ones depending upon how shredded your existing ones are.
View attachment 198500

Looking up into the frame pocket:
Here is the ring taped onto the spring (supposed to be flat):

The looks from your photo, you have a jack under the control arm with a block. I am assuming you have the car blocked up as well?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If the motor is in the car, then you can use the weight of the car to keep the spring compressed.

A jack stand under the frame and your floor jack under the spring will work just fine, especially if you’re putting in a shorter spring.

Don’t overthink it, and keep your fingers and eyeballs out of the way.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
If the motor is in the car, then you can use the weight of the car to keep the spring compressed.

A jack stand under the frame and your floor jack under the spring will work just fine, especially if you’re putting in a shorter spring.

Don’t overthink it, and keep your fingers and eyeballs out of the way.

Crotchal region also

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The looks from your photo, you have a jack under the control arm with a block. I am assuming you have the car blocked up as well?
I always use jack stands. Back when I was younger and dumber, I got away with only compressing the control arms several times. I did run a 1" tie-down strap through the frame and spring to prevent mortal kombat. Now I use a spring compressor...it's actually easier when you are using lowering springs.

Note that this method does not work so well without an engine installed - you'll end up lifting the car off the jackstand before getting the bushing bolts inserted...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I always use jack stands. Back when I was younger and dumber, I got away with it several times. I did run a 1" tie-down strap through the frame and spring to prevent mortal kombat. Now I use a spring compressor...

Note that this method does not work so well without an engine installed - you'll end up lifting the car off the jackstand before getting the bushing bolts inserted...
Or you need a big person to sit on the bumper.

Kelvin's80442

Greasemonkey
Apr 19, 2020
Ste Rose Manitoba
I always use jack stands. Back when I was younger and dumber, I got away with only compressing the control arms several times. I did run a 1" tie-down strap through the frame and spring to prevent mortal kombat. Now I use a spring compressor...it's actually easier when you are using lowering springs.

I just see nasty sh*t with loaded tension in them springs. I do have the motor in, so shouldn't be too bad. Once she up and wheels off, I will have a better understanding. Don't think will be anything too terrible, might be just a bugger to get the compression tool in the spring

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I just see nasty sh*t with loaded tension in them springs. I do have the motor in, so shouldn't be too bad. Once she up and wheels off, I will have a better understanding. Don't think will be anything too terrible, might be just a bugger to get the compression tool in the spring
The GM design at least leaves a hole in the control arm for the spring compressor, where the shock mounts. Make sure the pigtail ends of the springs clock in at close to the same place, even though the arms are mirror images. That helps ensure the body height is the same on both sides.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor