MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Lag is not necessarily a bad thing. With a 200 hpr engine. Lag makes it suck. A little lag with a 700 hpr engine. Means traction or not. Take a ride in a high horse power turbo car, and you will see why they are so awesome.
The dilemma that develops with turbo size is that you put on a small enough turbo to eliminate lag on a low HP motor, by low HP I'm referencing less than 300hp, and you end up running out of turbo on the top end. It's not difficult to turn a low HP motor into a high HP (over 500HP) with a turbo, and then put a large enough turbo on to not run out of turbo by 800-1000hp. The way to stop the lag with a big turbo in cars like ours is by either using a standard transmission or putting in a high stall, quality converter into your auto.

Small turbos have but one use - low rpm, heavy load applications. Meaning trucks that pull a camper or whatever you have that is heavy. Mentality towards turbo sizing has changed dramatically in the past 10 years.

I don't know anyone with one running at the moment 🤣 I was hoping with the AWD and 12" tires in the rear I should get some decent bite to keep traction
I can't speak of any AWD experience, but a G-body with a 10-12" wide street tire can be turned to smoke at 70mph with 700-800hp without issue and at will.

If you're going to be happy with 4-500whp (which is ALOT), then a small turbo, i.e 7665, S363, etc. is great. But boost is addictive (mentioned previously) ;) The popular sloppy mechanic 7875 turbo is bigger than a GT45 and has less lag and is more than capable of 800+ numbers - it's why they are so popular.

Reactions: 7 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The dilemma that develops with turbo size is that you put on a small enough turbo to eliminate lag on a low HP motor, by low HP I'm referencing less than 300hp, and you end up running out of turbo on the top end. It's not difficult to turn a low HP motor into a high HP (over 500HP) with a turbo, and then put a large enough turbo on to not run out of turbo by 800-1000hp. The way to stop the lag with a big turbo in cars like ours is by either using a standard transmission or putting in a high stall, quality converter into your auto.

Small turbos have but one use - low rpm, heavy load applications. Meaning trucks that pull a camper or whatever you have that is heavy. Mentality towards turbo sizing has changed dramatically in the past 10 years.

I can't speak of any AWD experience, but a G-body with a 10-12" wide street tire can be turned to smoke at 70mph with 700-800hp without issue and at will.

If you're going to be happy with 4-500whp (which is ALOT), then a small turbo, i.e 7665, S363, etc. is great. But boost is addictive (mentioned previously) ;) The popular sloppy mechanic 7875 turbo is bigger than a GT45 and has less lag and is more than capable of 800+ numbers - it's why they are so popular.
Yeah that is what my main buddy helping me with the Blazer has been saying, I'm just worried about that addiction after I get it to 600hp or so. Because I have an addictive personality so I am sure will then be looking for more, also afraid that there is something already wrong with the truck. Which is why my plan had been to put it together with just the 5.3 to see how she runs and figure out what was wrong before winter. But that never worked out so still working out a game plan on what I should do to have this thing up and running ASAP with the power I want

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Consider horsepower less, and torque more.

It is all that power around MBT which is going to shred the rest of your drivetrain (each weak link will be quickly shown to you). So a "good enough" $163 turbo that takes a tick longer to spool and generate less cylinder pressure and torque might just save you thousands in expenses that an "upgraded" low-buck turbo would otherwise expose your wallet to a financial raping you weren't prepared for.

Diminishing returns for cool guy internet points.

Get a cheap turbo and a half decent boost controller, and you're going to have more thrills than you can imagine. Breaking sh*t isn't fun. A good converter also helps immensely.

It doesn't look too laggy to me, especially if it maxes out at 14psi:

Reactions: 6 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
A 2600 stall with a gt45 on a 5.3 wouldn't have lag, or traction with a bone stock motor and a stock cam.

My 6.0 3200 stall and 7875 billet wheel is into 10psi in 0.8 seconds. Or 800 rpm from givin'er the beans. It doesn't lag, it gives you a half second to brace for impact.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
  • In Love
Reactions: 7 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Consider horsepower less, and torque more.

It is all that power around MBT which is going to shred the rest of your drivetrain (each weak link will be quickly shown to you). So a "good enough" $163 turbo that takes a tick longer to spool and generate less cylinder pressure and torque might just save you thousands in expenses that an "upgraded" low-buck turbo would otherwise expose your wallet to a financial raping you weren't prepared for.

Diminishing returns for cool guy internet points.

Get a cheap turbo and a half decent boost controller, and you're going to have more thrills than you can imagine. Breaking sh*t isn't fun. A good converter also helps immensely.

It doesn't look too laggy to me, especially if it maxes out at 14psi:
I need all the cool guy internet points I can get to make up for the real deal, very valid points though and likely will sway me that way
Immajusgonnaleavedishere:

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I knew you really cared!!!!!!!!

• Clever
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I need all the cool guy internet points I can get to make up for the real deal, very valid points though and likely will sway me that way

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

I knew you really cared!!!!!!!!

If it is a 6.0 or bigger get the T6 framed turbo. Otherwise just do the mods I did for the 5.3 and 4.8L with the GT45, and giggle away.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Recruited the Sr. Garage Monkey and pulled the differential and a few other bits and bobs.

PXL_20201220_214308645.jpg

After she gave up on me (as most women do) I got to pulling out all of the useless factory lines to make room for cleaning, cutting, and welding.

PXL_20201220_214300827.jpg

I am dreading the next step of scrubbing it all down. Good bye handsome, Mike.

Reactions: 9 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
First thing that came to mind

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Woke up feeling pretty rough all over - kind of like I spent the night street fighting. Countless hours doing ab crunches, holding awkward positions, and punching rusty steel will do that...

Thankfully the swelling has gone down on my ever softening office hands (the shame is real).

PXL_20201221_153626435.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor