MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 1 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Nah, it’s in the tune. I have nitrous envy - I need one of those BAD.
ZomboMeme 14072022192607.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Just got back from a week-ish in Ottawa and a day-ish laid over in Toronto (yes, our airports and airlines are a mess). Sitting in a hotel room/airport for a week makes a guy spend a lot of time day-dreaming about all the time he's losing in the garage, and what must be done when he gets back. But, it is hard to argue with benefits of nightly dinners with friends and a game of golf on company time. Classified as "team building". BTW, I suck at golf, gonna stick to sh*t posting on the internet.

Yesterday after I got settled in at the house - I dipped out to the garage to swap springs in the wastegate. It was a shitty job since I completely forgot the process to remove it from the car and found it was missing parts once it was removed (it shook a bolt loose at some point), and now everything from my elbows down now itches thanks to the heat wrap. I used the biggest spring combined with the smallest spring:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/copo...build-the-vergeltungswaffen.61336/post-636599

The smallest spring netted about 11psi max (dropping to 9psi), so I figure that the two of them should work well with the boost controller and give me room to grow/get a more consistent return without the boost dropping off. Eg. 20psi of total control, needing only up to 13psi and a base pressure of 9-10psi.

The power dropping off up top with this turbo with insufficient WG control is a known issue: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/make-800-hp-163-ebay-turbo/

So I am not going to act surprised this happened without meaningful control. However, I would much rather manage the boost in a target range and maintain it across the rev range especially considering that the transmission and stock rear axles probably don't want huge peak torque numbers and superhero launches on a two-step.

I'll see what I can do about installing a firewall this week and maybe head back for another go at it. Ultimately, I will be happy with a good MPH and an ET in the "do that again, and we're sending you home range".

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Did the smallest spring with the boost controller net 9-11psi? Or without the boost controller?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Well that makes sense. I read your post twice and couldn't tell if you were using it or not. Then I pulled up the pic that you linked (post 208 IIRC). If that's a VS gate, then I just added springs to one of them yesterday in a friend's car. He made 4.5-5 psi on the small diameter spring. We added the largest diameter spring to get to 10. If yours is the same gate, then you must have a well designed hot side. I put in that same spring on my awful hotside and make 11 haha. And that's after changing mine up a bunch over the winter (I used to make 18 on that spring).

My experience with the meth is that you're hurting your power production until you get to 7-10 psi. If you have it on at 4psi, then it hasn't been helping. Are you running 50/50 water/meth or washer fluid that's more like 35% methanol?

I'm liking that you're creeping up on it. You're onto this, especially if you get in 8-10 runs with some good data. I'll guess that your boost controller works great.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well that makes sense. I read your post twice and couldn't tell if you were using it or not. Then I pulled up the pic that you linked (post 208 IIRC). If that's a VS gate, then I just added springs to one of them yesterday in a friend's car. He made 4.5-5 psi on the small diameter spring. We added the largest diameter spring to get to 10. If yours is the same gate, then you must have a well designed hot side. I put in that same spring on my awful hotside and make 11 haha. And that's after changing mine up a bunch over the winter (I used to make 18 on that spring).

My experience with the meth is that you're hurting your power production until you get to 7-10 psi. If you have it on at 4psi, then it hasn't been helping. Are you running 50/50 water/meth or washer fluid that's more like 35% methanol?

I'm liking that you're creeping up on it. You're onto this, especially if you get in 8-10 runs with some good data. I'll guess that your boost controller works great.

Yeah, its the same VS Racing/China TiAL knock-off. Right now I have the big/thick wire spring and the small/thin wire spring loaded; it should be about right for a turbo that has no business going north of 15 psi. As for the design of the hotside, yeah - maybe. I did port everything from the exhaust ports, to the manifolds, and turbine housing. The piping is 2.5" OD into a 3" OD merge, and exiting into a 4" downpipe. So I don't see any immediate issues with it. I also think that the WG dump being recirculated into the DP is helping scavenge the exhaust gases. At least that was my design intent, and its placement/angle was deliberate to take advantage of that.

Upon reassembly I sealed up the WG with copper high temp RTV to cut down on any potential leaks and maybe improve the spool time a bit. Maybe it helped, or maybe not.

The water/meth mix is whatever is in year old -45*C washer fluid and a splash of straight meth to top them off. It definitely is an unquantified variable at the moment, but at least the EQ is within spec now. So changing the composition is easy enough, as is timing the stages of injection. Remember that the one pass I did get off was done with a single stage (2 nozzles) coming on at 9psi - and it did a poorly tuned 111mph. Next time out I'll start light on the meth again and see how the car responds. But, for now it is a fail safe for heat soaked street play with two nozzles on at 3psi and three more nozzles on at 9psi. The meth injection is definitely flowing a lot as the VE table looks like it was cut in half over 105kpa (at least relative to what it should be on straight gas). But, I do agree that injecting a lot of fuel through the compressor at low speeds is definitely hurting air flow (mass and displacement).

I'll tweak the car as time allows, but like I said the number it could get and the number I am seeking could be many hours of tuning apart... and just not worth the effort.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'll tweak the car as time allows, but like I said the number it could get and the number I am seeking could be many hours of tuning apart... and just not worth the effort.
I think it's worth it.

There isn't a reason you can't run a 10 or very low 11. Keep you meth mix consistent - the methanol in there is burning and cooling. It's both a safety and fuel.

Enjoy :)

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor