MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I've done a bunch of reading about DA in the past 36 hours after reading one of your previous posts. WOW, what a difference does your altitude make!

My take after reading up on this is that excessive DA makes a smaller turbo seem larger or larger turbo seem a lot larger. Personally, I'm not a fan of a GT45 because of the specs. but it might be a waaaay better option at your altitude. I'm thinking that the exhaust flow doesn't care about DA, but the compressor does. So the 'small-ish' compressor should be much more effective and not become the restriction because of the air flow. Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly - correct me if I'm wrong. But it seems that a larger compressor will be less effective due to the DA at your altitude.

Duke (Northernregal) you're going to need some tricks to light off the S488 at your elevation haha.

I've never thought about this. GroceryGetter83 is at 6' elevation in Bradenton, I'm at 900' elevation locally, and Duke and motorheadmike are at 2800' (like wtf - 2800????!). After doing some basic calcs, like wtf - is my thinking about this correct?

I used to live in a place that would get negative DA in the Fall. So yes, this is a rude awakening for me.

I found this to be an interesting take on the subject:

Remember everything about this build is done around a budget and nothing else, and none of it is about a specific outcome other than having a moderately overpowered car that makes cool turbo noises. Nothing more. So it is very difficult me to rationalize a plan relative to the combo other than "I need: x, y, z components to avoid blowing it up".

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's not always just for spool. Nitrous in boost compounds benefits, a 50hp dry shot usually adds double or more on the top due to increased charge density. You can also also do a wet shot with meth for improved atomization and cooling. That's the angle I'm considering for later on stage 2, a 50hp dry and a 50hp wet meth after the IC. Stage 1 for the line and stage 2 for the 100 foot with a meth kick.

Season 8 Thief GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Find your own damn solutions, Dick... err... Duke.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I take it that the 'fuel cut rev limiter' is a rev limiter that cuts fuel to limit rpm's? I think I misunderstood you previous comment if so. That sounds like an HP Tuners term.

I figured you had went out to a neighboring town, that you're not running for political office in', and did some 0 to 100 hits. Thinking being 'to hell with these people, I don't need their vote' haha.

Yeah, that is exactly it. Not cool on a boosted motor. The TBSS does it by spark, fuel or both and electronic throttle.

I can do some crappy traction limited 1-2, 2-3 pulls but it doesn't work the way we want for good clean data collection... which is why I need the track.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Yeah, that is exactly it. Not cool on a boosted motor. The TBSS does it by spark, fuel or both and electronic throttle.

I can do some crappy traction limited 1-2, 2-3 pulls but it doesn't work the way we want for good clean data collection... which is why I need the track.

I thought a spark cut is really hard on the turbo impeller?

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You have too many to keep up on all the designs. 🤣

This time it's the Monte.

True. It is the Kitty that runs Stage 1 booze and a Stage 2 booze & spicy air blend.

The Monte just runs a whole lot of booze.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
True. It is the Kitty that runs Stage 1 booze and a Stage 2 booze & spicy air blend.

The Monte just runs a whole lot of booze.

May I present an alternative to your plan.

I wanna see the spicy air that bends the Fancy Boi rods.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor