MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I think it's worth it.

There isn't a reason you can't run a 10 or very low 11. Keep you meth mix consistent - the methanol in there is burning and cooling. It's both a safety and fuel.

Enjoy :)

I'd agree if this were my main/only focus. A decent result is good enough for this season.

I just plugged the new tune in it... after explaining to Tatiana the principles of tuning right before bed. Her request, not mine. She then asked me to load HPTuners on her computer so she could play with the VE tables 3D graphics.

She's hooked now - muhahahahaha!

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ever had one of those "oh sh*t!" moments? Well tonight was one of them. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing just a lot happening very fast.

As you can see below the car is making more boost... and we can assume more power. The white vertical line shows the point where the second stage (the big one) comes on. Moments later you can see how the EQ ratio falls way off. This was already after a bit of tuning (its been gone through again). I adjusted the boost controller to slow down the ramp rate as the car was near impossible to drive. I can put it back to a more aggressive setting at the track (WG%, gain, and start pressure (currently 10, could go back to 5 - or lower and risk a boost spike).

1658290781684.png

The whole OS is now at its peak/limit (210kpa) and the boost controller is hitting boost cut and is smashing against a 16psi celling (as set by me). The obvious thing to do is go to a 3 bar OS.

The general consensus is that this turbo is incapable of going above 11psi at full song (at least if you believe everything Holdner tells you):

I am guilty of believing this for a long time, at least until I took a step back and recognized that nothing he was doing to control boost would facilitate the turbo going over a self-imposed limitation. So with proper boost control and equipment it would seem that exceeding the commonly accepted numbers is possible.

If you look far enough back there is evidence that these GT45 turbos have a lot of potential over and above what we've been told.

Run at 13.5 and 15psi respectively:

Upwards of 26psi:

And a more legitmate 9 second pass at 17+psi:

So long as the air flow (g/s) keeps going up it clearly is still working well enough, obviously still battling high (but, steady) IATs.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The turbo can only supply as much air it’s compressor is capable of. It won’t go above that reliably for long.

You’ll know when you hit the limit because the IAT’s will climb rapidly, basically it makes heat, boost and not anymore power.

Not disagreeing with you, but rather pointing out ‘the proof is in the pudding’ haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The turbo can only supply as much air it’s compressor is capable of. It won’t go above that reliably for long.

You’ll know when you hit the limit because the IAT’s will climb rapidly, basically it makes heat, boost and not anymore power.

Not disagreeing with you, but rather pointing out ‘the proof is in the pudding’ haha.

That's the thing. The prejudice against these turbos is that they just don't perform over a set "boost" level. As I have always maintained: boost is just a measure of restriction - the only thing that matters is mass air flow (as influenced by other factors). The turbo's job is to move air (ideally as efficiently as possible), it just does so with battling pressure. People who talk about boost without looking at the other factors are: F*CKING IDIOTS.

"Durr, durr, how much boost?!"

The reason that I spent so much time porting things was to modify the factors which contribute to the limitations of "boost" or the out of the box nature of the GT45. Holdner, despite being prompted, has NEVER measured the IATs or air flow of any turbo he's tested. He simply, as any simpleton and reductionist would, only looks at boost and AFR (and occasionally back pressure) because that is all he and his core audience understands (or chooses/has the capacity to endure). It's easy consumption nonsense.

Getting back to the data above, the IATs start at 120*F and end at 127*F before I lifted. That is a 7*F change in 2.8 seconds. So clearly it isn't super-heating the air charge (chemical intercooling notwithstanding), and sensor latency isn't an issue either as the IATs stabilized at 133*F after the pull. Additionally, the Dynamic Airflow is still rising despite the boost plateauing (assuming it hadn't over shot 16psi/210kpa and wasn't going to the moon (I cannot safely stare a gauge and the road).

Obviously, I am now limited by data (as it relates to pressure), although I could run the crappy Innovate LogWorks program to get a figure. So I guess I need to open my wallet and recapture that important but, limited capability in HPTuners. But, so long as it has enough fuel and is not knocking we should be good to go for the time being.

The other thing that has me wondering what I am at the limit of now are my valve springs.

Last thing since my work computer just finished updating...

This is the effect that running uncalculated (non-ECM controlled) fueling (methanol injection) has on a VE table in an Open Loop OS:

1658331569338.png

If I had a Closed Loop correction it wouldn't matter, it would self adjust and the VE would be normal. It is what it is, until the meth pumps fail and the engine goes boom because it has no safeties integrated other than the boost controller having a AFR-based boost cut.

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If you were at 11 before, why not just run it 15-16 for now, tune for it, and see if the car gets down the 1/4 mile before going 3 bar and full send? You have more than enough injector for it. If you go SD, you can work around the MAF limit. Or rescale the whole thing and keep the MAF. Or break down and get a Holley Terminator.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you were at 11 before, why not just run it 15-16 for now, tune for it, and see if the car gets down the 1/4 mile before going 3 bar and full send? You have more than enough injector for it. If you go SD, you can work around the MAF limit. Or rescale the whole thing and keep the MAF. Or break down and get a Holley Terminator.

To clarify we are already SD. But, otherwise, yes - you are correct and that's my plan. But, a 3 Bar MAP is just $31 and the OS change is free... so... ya know... why not?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor