Core to fender braces: Curved vs Straight debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
While we're on the subject, anyone have a good pic of the cowl to fender braces, particularly where they mount on the cowl?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
For those of you that are looking for these in a junkyard and can't find them, they are super easy to make and take all of 10 minutes.

Buy some 3/4" diameter steel tubing from the local hardware store. Measure, cut, flaten both ends in a bench vise, drill two holes, add paint and bolt them on.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
FE3X CLONE said:
For those of you that are looking for these in a junkyard and can't find them, they are super easy to make and take all of 10 minutes.

Buy some 3/4" diameter steel tubing from the local hardware store. Measure, cut, flaten both ends in a bench vise, drill two holes, add paint and bolt them on.

That's why I was asking :lol:

I have some really rigid 3/4" conduit. I haven't looked at the cowl area yet though.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
My local yard has a single 78-79 Montecarlo with a set. When I go back I will take some close-up pictures for you.
Dean

monte87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2009
RIVERSIDE, CALI
othtim said:
You know, I didn't notice a difference with these bars installed vs not installed. I'm not sure they are worth installing, even for the extra 10lbs over the nose. What difference do these bars actually make?
That's what i was wondering too, what's the benefit of these bars?

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
BUMP.

Did anyone notice a difference before/after installing these bars?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I noticed little benefit. When I would lean over my fender ( to adjust my alt belt for example ) I could see the body moving over the body mount bolt. After the bars it takes more effort to make it move. Maybe a small thing but I will take any help I can get

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The true benefit of these bars work in conjunction with the jounce bars and GP crossbar. They seem to help tighten up the entire front end assembly as a unit. No B.S., they do work. They take the shake, rattle and roll out of it.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
G-Body_Vet said:
Waiting on Cutlass, Regal, Monte, LeMans & Grand AM owners to step up now.

I don't have a provision for mounting either bar on mine, but I'll be mounting up the thicker curved bars...

as for the cowl to core braces, mine are just mocked up right now, but the holes on the cowl are drilled...
pass side cowl
010-1.jpg

driver's side cowl
009-1.jpg

008.jpg

if you pull off the rubber strip on the cowl, you'll see a couple of dimples where they get drilled at. (you'll either need a 90* drill, or have the hood off- it's a tight fit there)

the core end gets mounted up on the outer bolt on the fender bracket:
006.jpg

hope this helps :wink:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Is it strange that my Monte didnt have the holes drilled on the fenders? I drilled my own for the curved bars I picked up. I woulda thought the holes would have been drilled :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor