Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
1evilregal said:
G-Body_Vet said:
Waiting on Cutlass, Regal, Monte, LeMans & Grand AM owners to step up now.

I don't have a provision for mounting either bar on mine, but I'll be mounting up the thicker curved bars...

as for the cowl to core braces, mine are just mocked up right now, but the holes on the cowl are drilled...
pass side cowl
010-1.jpg

driver's side cowl
009-1.jpg

008.jpg

if you pull off the rubber strip on the cowl, you'll see a couple of dimples where they get drilled at. (you'll either need a 90* drill, or have the hood off- it's a tight fit there)

the core end gets mounted up on the outer bolt on the fender bracket:
006.jpg

hope this helps :wink:

Can you measure the length of the bars for me? I got a few sets from 77 el caminos and need to know if they are the same length.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Instead of hunting for those cowl to fender braces I'm just going to make my own. The same goes for the core support "X" brace. I have some 3/4" EMT conduit laying around that I'm going to use. FWIW, it's only about $4 for 10ft of it at Home Depot. It also comes in diameters from 1/2" up to 2" and it's galvanized (no rust). A few minor bends, crimped ends in a vice, and drilling a few holes isn't exactly rocket science.

I think I might give this stuff a try for tying the frame rails together, except stepping up in diameter. If it ends up bending or not working out (which I doubt), I wouldn't even be out of $30 for the whole car.

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
I grabbed 3 sets of the x braces from the local junkyard. I have some thick pipe from an old weight bench, I think I am gonna weld it in between my jounce bars to tie them together. Like the GP bar since I cant find enough of them for all 3 cars.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Blazenlotus said:
I grabbed 3 sets of the x braces from the local junkyard. I have some thick pipe from an old weight bench, I think I am gonna weld it in between my jounce bars to tie them together. Like the GP bar since I cant find enough of them for all 3 cars.

I've been trying to get my hands on a GP bar but the last few I've com e across have had proud owners :lol:

I think I'm going to give the conduit a try at the bottom of the bumper shock mounts where they meet the frame. If I have enough room I want to run at least a 1" bar front & back. I'd even try larger if I can make it fit without any interference.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
G-Body_Vet said:
Blazenlotus said:

I've been trying to get my hands on a GP bar but the last few I've com e across have had proud owners :lol:

I think I'm going to give the conduit a try at the bottom of the bumper shock mounts where they meet the frame. If I have enough room I want to run at least a 1" bar front & back. I'd even try larger if I can make it fit without any interference.

Hey G-Body_Vet I thought I had sent you a pm. I have an extra GP bar that I found for you.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
heres mine, i actually got them out of a cutlass at the local yard...

they are stright at the core support and at the fenders they curve....i was shocked when i got home and they fit perfect...

Attachments

• 2011-04-24_18-53-50_290.jpg
    2011-04-24_18-53-50_290.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 2011-04-24_18-53-21_305.jpg
    2011-04-24_18-53-21_305.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 374
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor