Corvette brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Since this comes up occasionally, I decided to tally up MY costs to do the C5/C6 brake swap on my Cutlass, so here goes:
1) Base C5 (JL9)12.8" rotors and pads that were basically new were given to me free by a neighbor who upgraded to drilled/slotted Hawk stuff=$30 for resurfacing at Oreilly. Equivalent kits are $80-$240 from Rockauto.
2) 1998-2003 Blazer spindles and hubs=$40 from salvage yard
3) KORE3 brackets and hoses =$223. Kit #10441-01, #10117 hoses. Hoses are pricey($69), but nice braided stainless with SAE on one end and Metric on the other since my car is a 1979 and has SAE brake lines and the C6's are metric.
4) Centric brand C6 base calipers from Rockauto =$352. Centric #14162137 + #14162138 I just preferred the looks of the C6 over the C5, but they are supposedly a bit stiffer with the wider ribs on top.
5) Couple of cans of spray paint=$10
Grand Total = $655, $865 if you figure in the best rotors/pads from Rockauto,. Didn't change Master Cylinder or proportioning valve. Been driving it about 6 months like this, I think it stops great, and doesn't get that squeak,squeak,squeak that some Gbody brakes get.
Wilwood and Baer 13" kits with better 4/6 piston calipers that may be lighter are $1600-$2200 from Summit Racing, so I think this swap is reasonable if you already have 17" or larger wheels and want larger brakes.
I did a couple of other upgrades at the same time with Summit tubular upper control arms and Proforged +1/2" upper and lower ball joints, but those were not required by the brake swap. Sad part is, all you can see through my current wheels is the "fangs" on the calipers. And yes that WAS a Harbor Freight jack stand. 😬
1609440103227.png

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor