Corvette "Ram Horn" Manifolds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1fastregal1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2012
Greetings fellow G body enthusiasts!
I am in the process of restoring my 1978 regal, which i equipped with a built 327 and a muncie M20 4 speed. Im curious if anyone out there has run the 2.5" center dump corvette cast iron manifolds. I really want to run these due to the fact they are cheap, maintenance free and look awesome. I cant say im all that interested in headers, but if i have to deal with them then so be it. Any advice will be appreciated!

Cheers

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
I don't think they will work. Ram horn has center exit very close to g body frame.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
I never tried them myself. But from what I heard they are close to the k member.
You maybe be able to sneek them in try them on and see what room you have to install the down pipes.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

1fastregal1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2012
Well thanks for the input everyone! Since on the topic of cast iron manifolds, has anybody had any good luck with a set that fits the G body that flows rather well? I'im familiar with the castheads.com ported manifolds....but not for $600....

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
There are rear dump ram horn manifolds. Let me know which side you need and i will give you hollander numbers

Fastmax32168

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2011
I used LT1 exhaust manifolds. They dump at the rear, fit with no problem, and flow better than any other rear exit manifolds I know of.
Roy

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Has anyone try the '64-'67 Nova ram horns? They have what looks like a 45 degree flange. I know they're not an easy find, but might give the frame clearance needed to use a set.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
wayyy back when these cars were near new and long before I could afford headers we would try and find the log type manifolds and matching crossover used on the heavy trucks / vans ( 80's early 90's ). Roundy round guys would use them as well. They were a good 1/2 bigger and used a 3 bolt flange instead of the cars 2 bolt flange.

Looked like these
http://www.castheads.com/log_systems.php

I have to ask though. Why not headers ??

1fastregal1978

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2012
axisg, Well my reasons for avoiding headers this time around are the following:

1. burnt spark plugs
2. constantly having to tighten the mounting bolts
3. clearance issues with my 4 speed linkage
4. headers seem to always rust no matter what you coat them with
5. highway drone, general volume of headers

Now i understand that headers certainly have there performance benefits, but i dont really care about being the all time fastest guy on the street. I like to be able to conversation with my passengers and hear my radio. Figure even with headers and quiet exhaust system how much power would i really be losing by just sticking with manifolds? So for ease of installation and the maintenance free benefits of manifolds is why im choosing to stick with the cast iron route. So hopefully ill be able to find a good middle of the road set that gives me decent flow and affordable cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor