Cost difference: SBC vs. 3.8 turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Rules here in the “People’s Republic” are the engine going in must be same year or newer than the recipient vehicle. Another buddy of mine suggested a (Gen II) LT1. Between Vettes & F-bodies, seems like there should be a few of those floating around, more if you count the Impala SS and Roadmaster.

Yes, step one is to just get it in decent running condition as-is. I’m fully aware all-in, I’m probably looking at well into the five figures. Thanks for your feedback.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
If you are set on an 86-87 turbobuick drive train, your best bet would be to get a complete running/driving donor vehicle. They are not all that common.....but occassionaly I see complete cars in rough shape for around $4k. This way you get all the parts needed for the swap without getting nickel and dimed to death.

Alternatively, you could consider a 3800 series 2, f-body 4l60e, and build your own exh manifolds, crossover, downpipe...etc.

Hi all. Just doing some initial exploration and research on powertrain options for my ‘83 Regal wagon. If possible and reasonably within budget, I’d like to keep it a V-6, since that was kind of Buick’s trademark in the ‘80s.

How expensive/difficult is it to still get parts or engines for Grand Nationals? Seems like there’s still a decent amount of support for them out there.

Obviously the SBC (in either original or LS form) is a lot more ubiquitous. No disrespect to anyone on this forum, but SBC swaps are just so common. I know, I know... “There’s a reason they’re common...they work!” I really want to go the GN route if it’s not going to completely drain my bank account, and send me on a wild goose chase trying to hunt down parts. Any insights as to a rough cost comparison between the two options would be appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Rules here in the “People’s Republic” are the engine going in must be same year or newer than the recipient vehicle.

And don't forget .... stock. As in factory. And you have to stop short of OBDII because you have to keep your G-body gas tank and you can't retrofit an OBDII pressure sensor to it (or so we've heard here, lol).

If you want to use the motor it has and just convert to a turbo, none of the factory stock setups would kill it. Other than the cam, what little was different, like the "rolled fillet" crank, was to survive detonation on regular gas.

Have you been to www.turbobuick.com? For parts, find intercooled88s in Parts For Sale. He's in western Massachusetts, but he salvages the '84-'87 SFI cars and has parts. Lots of parts, not too pricey. Others on that site clean out their garages from time to time.

Last edited:

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Any insights as to a rough cost comparison between the two options would be appreciated.

As any experienced car guy can tell you, the answer is simple. When comparing a SBC against <insert any other engine here>, the SBC will always cost less to buy, rebuild, and modify. Always.

You may consider getting it running and just driving it for a while before making any decisions about major surgery right away. You may find that there are lots of other upgrades you'll want to address before getting after the engine.

This is some of the best advice you've been offered in this thread. I, too, did this same thing. When I bought my Grand Prix, it had the Buick 231 which did run... barely... but it was definitely not able to be driven. Even though I bought the car for the sole reason of swapping in a V8, I spent some time and a little money getting the V6 driveable. Nothing major was required; I installed new plugs and a new fuel pump, flushed the fluids, addressed a few leaks, etc. With that stuff done, I began driving it. A couple months later, I bought my donor V8 for the swap, then slowly began rebuilding it in preparation. Meanwhile I upgraded the interior with full aftermarket gauges, bucket seats, and a stereo; I also swapped in a stronger rear axle to deal with the forthcoming significant increase in torque. By the time I finally pulled the stock V6, I had been driving the car for an entire year.

Speaking of increased torque, why do you want a turbo engine? More to the point, what are your exact goals for the car? Do you have a specific power output in mind, or perhaps a certain ET you want to hit at the strip? Having a specific goal will make it much easier to develop a plan to get there, and that is when you can begin to calculate the costs involved. If your answer to this question is simply to mumble something about 'wanting more power' then it's gonna be difficult for anyone to offer you very useful advice.

I'd also recommend against any "temporary" engine swaps, as they'll be better but if they don't "scratch your itch" then you'll just be that much in the hole cost-wise when you decide that you really wanted your first choice of engine instead.

This is also excellent advice. Figure out what you really want up front, then only spend the money once. It will definitely be cheaper in the long run.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor