Couldn't cut a key...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well I was thinking that maybe it isn't too safe to only have one set of keys to my cutlass. So I figured I few bucks at Walmart would get me some spares made. Well I was soon to find out how wrong I was... I go to the TLE section and ask the lady to cut me some keys. I told her to use the old style GM blanks. She wanted to know year, make, model. She said she couldn't make it withouth knowing this information. I knew they don't list a Hurst :) , so I told her a '84 Cutlass Supreme....

After she played with her computer for a few mins, and called her manager over... She eventually told me that they can't make keys for cars that old. Wat kinda crap is that? GM used that same key for decades, but WalMart doesn't carry blanks for em, nor can they cut em if I bring my own blanks in. I thought that was pretty crazy. Anybody had a similar experience, or is my WalMart retarted?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have never had anyone look on a computer....they look at my key then look on the rack for a blank R45 for the ignition and a B51 for the door key

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Yeah seriously... They just put your key in the machine, and the machine uses it as a template for the new key its very simple. Sounds like you got served by their affirmative action hired retarded person, and the even more retarded manager. :roll:

Go anywhere else that makes keys and they will be able to make a key for you for like 3 dollars. You shouldn't go to Wal Mart for any reason anyway Wal Mart is one of the main reasons why locally owned small retail businesses have to close up shop.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
kornball426 said:
Yeah seriously... They just put your key in the machine, and the machine uses it as a template for the new key its very simple. Sounds like you got served by their affirmative action hired retarded person, and the even more retarded manager. :roll:

Go anywhere else that makes keys and they will be able to make a key for you for like 3 dollars. You shouldn't go to Wal Mart for any reason anyway Wal Mart is one of the main reasons why locally owned small retail businesses have to close up shop.
^^ what he said. Lol. I had mine cut with the GM style blank, took two mins. in a machine (at Canadian Tire).

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Call yourself lucky because wal-mart cuts horrible keys anyway, go to lowes and they'll get you hooked up

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
I have to agree. Wal-mart is not my first choice to go and get keys made. I went to a local hardware store my town and they did it for 2 bucks. It took the guy less then 2 minute to make another El Camino key. I say go to lows or home depo. They would be a better bet.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
84Hurst/Olds said:
Well I was thinking that maybe it isn't too safe to only have one set of keys to my cutlass. So I figured I few bucks at Walmart would get me some spares made. Well I was soon to find out how wrong I was... I go to the TLE section and ask the lady to cut me some keys. I told her to use the old style GM blanks. She wanted to know year, make, model. She said she couldn't make it without knowing this information. I knew they don't list a Hurst :) , so I told her a '84 Cutlass Supreme....

After she played with her computer for a few mins, and called her manager over... She eventually told me that they can't make keys for cars that old. Wat kinda crap is that? GM used that same key for decades, but Wal-Mart doesn't carry blanks for em, nor can they cut em if I bring my own blanks in. I thought that was pretty crazy. Anybody had a similar experience, or is my WalMart retarded?
If it's not in the computer it doesn't exist :blam:

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Why do you guys still shop at Walmart? They are the worst.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
crucial118 said:
Why do you guys still shop at Walmart? They are the worst.

Well I definately won't be going there for anything in the TLE section. I was really just trying to waste time while my girlfriend was looking at some stuff.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Heck, I didn't even know Walmart could cut keys in the first place.

Why do people even shop there for their vehicles???

Any local hardware store will be able to cut them in less than 5 minutes. I took my old keys in to my local Ace Hardware and they cut them right there as I watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor