Covid 19 flare up then subsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a perfect analogy. I go fishing on a small boat a LOT and I wear a life jacket at all times. And since I am SCUBA certified you would think I would be so confidant about my abilities that I could forego the life jacket. But the reality is that things in your control can get out of control very fast. There may be no time to find and don a life jacket. Or on your way over the side you bang your head or dislocate your shoulder reaching in vain for a hand-hold. Whenever you hear of a drowning it is always the same- "No life jackets were worn". So if you want to fish with me you will wear one or you stay ashore. Hopefully you will never need one- but if you do- I am confidant you will not become a statistic.

Life jackets are still a choice. So nobody can realistically mandate those either. Sure, it's your boat, your rules, because you're the captain, but I can just go on someone else's boat or go get mine if I choose not to. No big deal. What's it worth to wear one or not? I don't mind wearing a life jacket, so I'd do it personally. Probably would have more to do with what beer you had in the cooler than a life jacket. 🙂

My biggest issue with all this is the idiot Monday morning quarterbacking going on. They all bellyache so and so didn't do this, they did this when they shouldn't, blah blah...ok, Mr. Smartypants, where the f*** were you when all this sh*t started? Don't hear a peep out of your dumb azz until after some people actually try sh*t that either works or doesn't. And some of the ones that are complaining about what didn't happen early on were railing against it at the very time it was being decided. So all those A-holes can DIAF as far as I'm concerned. Useless. Be part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. I want my MTV...wait...no, that's not it. I want my vaccine!

Rhetorically speaking, you can mandate crap all you want, but in the end, it's the personal choices that win/lose the day. I see it all the time. There's been a mask mandate for people going into stores and stuff around here for a while now. Personal choice of the shop owner. They can ask you to leave if you don't wear a mask, and they're supposed to call the law if you don't comply. That ain't happening. The governor is using his "emergency powers" clause to do all this, however, it only has a 60-day time frame. But then they say they're considering extending it another 60 days. Hmm. That's not in the rulebook. So, then, how in the f**k is there a 60-day limit to your power grab if you aren't going to honor the limitations? I do admit, the Governor here is kind of letting each community decide that for themselves, so I guess the real ire should be at the county council.

I'm used to the masks, I don't care. I used to work in a clean room environment so a single stupid mask is nothing to me. Some people choose not to. So what? I don't give a flying fig. You can say something to them if you want, but then you're close enough to them if they sneeze or cough, you're going to likely get nailed with Covid if they're contagious. I simply avoid them as much as possible. I don't want to get the virus, regardless of who's doing what. I'll decide if I want to risk something. My constitutional rights didn't end when the virus appeared. Criminalizing not wearing a mask is a last resort method because you lack the persuasive abilities to sway people into concluding on their own it may be good for themselves and humanity without forcing the issue. IMO, if you're not going to arrest rioters and looters and hold their feet to the fire, F**K you about trying to write me a ticket or whatever for not wearing a mask. Get your priorities straight first, d*ckwads.

And Streetbu , the 1.5% death rate was those in South Carolina that aren't in nursing home/senior care facilities. I'm not sure what the national death rate is or compared to other states. So far that's tracking about where I thought it would end up around here, in the 1 to 2% range after the surge in spread. Still too high, but what you gonna do? As the spread slows, that's all you're doing, is slowing it down. Until we get a vaccine, nothing will stop it unless every single person holes up and stays away from every other single person for a few weeks. Or everyone gets infected and obtain herd immunity. Of course, then we'll have no economy, but hey, we can stop the virus...until that one A-hole from Europe, etc., flies in undetected into the U.S. and starts it all over again. So it's either herd immunity or vaccine. That's your choice.

However you choose, do it in whatever manner suits your safety limits.

Reactions: Streetbu
Darwin would be proud. If you are surrounded by something that may kill you- would you not take every conceivable precaution to avoid it? And if not- who would feel bad when you get it? As Perry Farrel (Jane's Addiction) sang- "Some people SHOULD die". I am in NYC and we were losing hundreds of lives every day. Think of a small town dieing every day. Bodies stacked up in refrigerated trailers. Yes, that bad. We locked down and it worked. Now we are doing great and everywhere else is getting hammered. We are the most powerful country in history, yet we still have the most cases on the entire planet. That does not compute. I don't go out much and when I do I wear a mask. But I am OK with that because I don't want a cold, Flu, or anything else that gets passed around.

A large part of why NY/NYC is doing well now is that so many were exposed to it there, the herd resistance/immunity thing is real. One reason why the numbers keep gradually going down nationwide, probably between 10-20% of the population has had it whether they know it or not. It's a linear thing, the more who've had it and can no longer get it/spread it, the slower the (remaining) spread is. It's not going anywhere, even if/when there is a vaccine so many won't trust it or take it, there might be a flare up or two again but nothing will compare to the March/April situation in regards to deaths and ICU numbers, etc.

Reactions: Streetbu
While somewhat funny, thats a horrible analogy Bonnewagon. What if the ship WASNT sinking and they wanted to make life jacket use all the time mandatory? I too live in NY. NYC is a sh*t show, ill give you that. But it was before the pandemic and will be long after too... when you have people living on top of one another, and our glorious Reich leader, err, I mean Governor putting people with Covid into nursing homes, thats exactly what will happen. Then when they start to investigate him, he stops the investigation.... you cannot change the death rate. Its currently 1.5% You say but we can change how many people get infected. No you can't, it will just stretch the process out longer thats all. Does that mean I don't care about people dying? No of course I care. The people at risk should quarantine for however long they feel necessary. The rest of the country (98.5%) can continue to live their lives.
You sure you aren't an Idahoan?

I think it is a perfect analogy. I go fishing on a small boat a LOT and I wear a life jacket at all times. And since I am SCUBA certified you would think I would be so confidant about my abilities that I could forego the life jacket. But the reality is that things in your control can get out of control very fast. There may be no time to find and don a life jacket. Or on your way over the side you bang your head or dislocate your shoulder reaching in vain for a hand-hold. Whenever you hear of a drowning it is always the same- "No life jackets were worn". So if you want to fish with me you will wear one or you stay ashore. Hopefully you will never need one- but if you do- I am confidant you will not become a statistic.
So you're going to keep wearing a mask for the rest of your life? And you were wearing one before this all started too right?......

Reactions: Pc3
I know what a curve looks like. Especially one that is waning. I cannot say why it is, but it is. I'm happy about that. Here's SC DHEC's graph of Covid Cases. We're now reporting around 500 NEW cases each day. A few weeks ago it was over 1,000 per day. In our county alone, the lowest amount of cases in the state, they say new confirmed cases per day for all this week and last week were like 14, 18, 21, 15, etc. A death here and there, but people aren't dropping like flies. Our new case rate is similar to what it was the first part of June, or roughly 10 weeks ago. And testing is darn near everywhere around here now.

Is it mask wearing? I dunno. I don't care. I think whatever we're doing, we're doing well. The recent dubbing of SC as a "hot spot" is now bullcrap, IMO. It may be spiking here and there, but barring anything strange, I think we're getting this sh*t under control. I suspect that's happening in a lot of places. Must be the protesting. 🙂 Covid won't go near protesting. Hospitals were nearing ICU capacity in the summer, but now none are reporting any overcrowding at all. And many hospitals are doing non-critical surgeries again.

Latest graph:

View attachment 155455
If covid fails to infect the protesters, and came from China, it is working even better than anticipated.

stay-on-topic.jpg

srsly politics is no

Friendly observation: there's a certain level of irony posting about "armchair QBs" when you're doing the same thing for the "other team." NOBODY has a clue what to do. I keep throwing out "uncharted territory" bc its true. The science CHANGES with observations and analysis, that's how its supposed to work. If one thing doesn't work when it should, then we stop doing it and do something else. Why are some people getting it and the hordes that should be getting it aren't? good question. Don't think it has much to do with "freedom" though. Maybe we should keep researching it and adjusting our response accordingly. If there was a simple monolithic biblical "do this" back in April then we wouldn't even be talking about this still.

Rights and responsibilities go hand-in-hand, too. Just because "its your right" doesn't mean you HAVE to. Maybe you just put on a ****ing mask and not be a douche about it bc there are other people in the world. This all blows over the worst thing that happened was we all look a little silly.

But that's just me I guess.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: DRIVEN and Pc3
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor