Covid 19 flare up then subsides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, things seem to be falling off pretty fast around here as far as new infections. Last week the daily positives for the county where I live were in the single digits most every day. Not always, but mostly. Yesterday across the state they reported like 250 new cases. Does this mean they're tracking all of the new cases? No. But they're still testing.

Across the state of SC, which was once considered one of those "hot spots" earlier this summer, 40% of the deaths occurred at nursing homes. All deaths suck, but I believe not just here, but everywhere, nursing home facilities and those types of senior care places are all getting hit notoriously hard. That said, the rest of the general public around here has a 1.5% death rate that's "claimed" to be from the virus. There is a difference whether you die FROM Covid or die WITH Covid. But these A-holes don't care. If you pass away in a room which MIGHT contain or has contained Covid, you're marked down as you died from it. That's how they're keeping track. Dumbazzes. So if you take the fudge factor of overreporting the numbers, overall in the state of SC, I believe the death rate isn't much more chance of killing you if you're in generally good health than the flu. Stronger? Yes. Death sentence? Hardly. The data, however skewed to the worst-case side, doesn't show that it's an out and out rampant killer at large any more. Chance for a resurgence? Of course. Just don't be stupid about reasonable preventive measures.

Is it still killing people? Yes. Which isn't good. The numbers show it kills people. But the numbers also show there's currently 133 people out of 801 hospitalized with Covid 19 on ventilators. So out of all the hospitalized people that are taking up about 73% of the available hospital beds in total from all situations from 86 hospitals reporting, only 10.34% are Covid patients (801). Out of those, the 133 on ventilators with Covid is only 16.60% of all the patients on ventilators. So basically, about 1 out of 10 hospital patients are dealing with Covid.

Keep your eye on the numbers and look at your own state's/commonwealth's DHEC numbers and check for yourself. Are we out of the woods? Not even. Are we on the down slope? I believe most of the country is, although there still may be some hot kernels here and there.

Stay safe out there. But open up the businesses if you can fit them into the safety guidelines. To some of you Governors out there--stop being stupid.

Reactions: 3 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
:rolleyes:

This ****ing country be like

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Darwin would be proud. If you are surrounded by something that may kill you- would you not take every conceivable precaution to avoid it? And if not- who would feel bad when you get it? As Perry Farrel (Jane's Addiction) sang- "Some people SHOULD die". I am in NYC and we were losing hundreds of lives every day. Think of a small town dieing every day. Bodies stacked up in refrigerated trailers. Yes, that bad. We locked down and it worked. Now we are doing great and everywhere else is getting hammered. We are the most powerful country in history, yet we still have the most cases on the entire planet. That does not compute. I don't go out much and when I do I wear a mask. But I am OK with that because I don't want a cold, Flu, or anything else that gets passed around.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the gov will never admit they were/are wrong went way overboard and had/has no idea what they are doing. They implement rules to make it appear they know what they are doing and they have to keep on doing it or they would have to admit they ruined the economy and people's lives. In my area at the beginning of this clusterF they said don't wear masks and the grocery stores remained open with people walking all through the stores in Ontario and there was no increase of infection from that btu no one talks about that, we have no investigative reporting up here.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm not advocating people should die. But it is kind of backwards when people think it's perfectly fine for people to congregate en masse to protest, and/or loot and steal without taking precautions, but no, you can't go to the restaurant, gym, hair salon, or church even if you follow all the recommended guidelines for safety. Even when these events are outside. There's something really strange about that line of thinking. I believe a lot of it is political decisions, some are just power grabs, and some are just some idiots picking a "solution" out of a hat and going with it. These so-called elected leaders aren't leaders. They're in it up to their necks just like the rest of us.

I think every community needs to determine their own risk levels on where they are on "the curve". After all, at the moment, it seems like the numbers show that you're more likely to die of a gunshot than Covid-19 in some of these bigger cities.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not advocating people should die. But it is kind of backwards when people think it's perfectly fine for people to congregate en masse to protest, and/or loot and steal without taking precautions, but no, you can't go to the restaurant, gym, hair salon, or church even if you follow all the recommended guidelines for safety. Even when these events are outside. There's something really strange about that line of thinking. I believe a lot of it is political decisions, some are just power grabs, and some are just some idiots picking a "solution" out of a hat and going with it. These so-called elected leaders aren't leaders. They're in it up to their necks just like the rest of us.

I think every community needs to determine their own risk levels on where they are on "the curve". After all, at the moment, it seems like the numbers show that you're more likely to die of a gunshot than Covid-19 in some of these bigger cities.

I'm just wondering if you have the part # for covid-19......... :popcorn:

• Haha

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The problem is a lot of people look to politicians to solve their problems. The politicians don't have answers, since most Politicians are only good (depending on who you ask) at solving FEELING issues, not THINKING issues, so they ask medical professionals or scientists for answers. Scientists take years, or decades, to actually get answers and really don't know because this scenario hasn't happened in 100 years, but politicians want answers yesterday, so the scientists, feeling pressured or that it is their duty, do their best. Being risk adverse people, they use unvalidated models with unvalidated data to make their best assumption at what to do. Saying 10 million people will die and being super tough on slowing spread is and having only 500,000 people die is better than saying 500,000 people will die and have 10 million people die. Politicians then take those best assumptions, assume they are gospel, and try to broadly apply them to a diverse population with different population densities, risk factors, and hope people listen.

The government can't solve your problems if they aren't 'feeling' related
Scientists can probably solve your actual problems 10 years after the problem showed up

The issue with models (and this is coming from my experience doing model validation for mechanical systems as the work for my Master's) is that #1, garbage in, garbage out, and #2, a model is worthless until it is validated. The model creators are validating the model now, and they will only know what garage goes into the model when garbage comes out.

What works well in China (who have a very high population density and a high obedience rate), or in New Zealand (which has a moderate to low population density and is an island nation that can 100% seal off) isn't going to work or should be applied in NYC or South Dakota. I think each state or city doing what is best for them is the best strategy since if you tried to apply a broad solution to the entire nation, it would seem drastic and people would do nothing, and it would probably end up worse in the end.

The issue we had is that the US did the 'worst' thing with the lockdowns. We tried to lock down and prioritize lives, which had a trade off of a sour economy. The issue is we didn't lock down hard enough to actually eradicate the virus, but it hurt the economy enough to be significant. We got the worst of both worlds, people still died, and the economy still got hurt.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
While somewhat funny, thats a horrible analogy Bonnewagon. What if the ship WASNT sinking and they wanted to make life jacket use all the time mandatory? I too live in NY. NYC is a sh*t show, ill give you that. But it was before the pandemic and will be long after too... when you have people living on top of one another, and our glorious Reich leader, err, I mean Governor putting people with Covid into nursing homes, thats exactly what will happen. Then when they start to investigate him, he stops the investigation.... you cannot change the death rate. Its currently 1.5% You say but we can change how many people get infected. No you can't, it will just stretch the process out longer thats all. Does that mean I don't care about people dying? No of course I care. The people at risk should quarantine for however long they feel necessary. The rest of the country (98.5%) can continue to live their lives.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor