Crucial118's 86 Cutty Salon 307->350->406->(TURBO) Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
STAGE 1

Wasup peeps? It's finally time to get started. I have a TPI 350 V8 to install in my 86 Cutty with a 307 in it now. I think I have everything to get me started now.....a new GN gas tank, sending unit, Walboro in-tank pump, motor, motor mounts(solid frame and block from Monte), headers, etc. Question is, is there a bracket kit to change the alt and ac to opposite sides? My alt is on the pass side and ac bracket on the driver's side. Also my fuel lines go to the driver's side, but that should be an easy fix, if I bend my own lines. :D

Attachments

• TPI1.jpg
    TPI1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 7,065

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Re: TPI IN 86 CUTTY

Starting in '88 the A/C compressor and alternator switched sides on TPI motors. The motor shown below came with driver's side fuel connections which may be visible behind the alternator.
My recipient had passenger's side fuel lines. I should have built a Cutlass...
59930256.jpg

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Yeah, I think mines is out of a 92 Camaro. So, will any AC bracket and alt bracket pre 88 fit on my 92?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.

An '88 through '92 motor should look like the picture I posted. Your pictured motor with the alternator on the passenger's side is older than '88.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Ok now I now what year the motor is. The engine casting code I got off the block was 14093638. When I recearched it, it said it was from 86-94. Guess I have an 86 or 87. Thanx for the info. Now will those brackets bolt up to my block?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Thanx Clutch. I went to the junkyard today and got lucky. There was an 88 GTA up there with a tpi setup on it. I grabbed the brackets, pulleys, powersteering pump, and compressor for $60. Hopefully I got everything I will need for the swap.

Just thought of something. Do I need to get an 88 reverse rotation water pump?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.

Yes, you'll need the reverse rotation water pump.

Another score would be the fuel rail with the driver's side connections if the donor was so equipped.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Unfortunately somebody butchered the fuel lines while they were taking off the plenum. So I will either have to bend my own lines or make another trip when I get closer to installing the motor. Why is it that people at junkyards never think of the next person? Oh well.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

I have the same basic setup and I just extended the wires for the a/c and alt rather than try to move everything around.

From your first pic, it shows an air filter mounted directly on the throttle body. This would indicate a 90-92 speed density TPI without the mass air flow sensor although a MAF system (85-89) can be converted to SD.

Which harness you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor