New to the site 86 Cutty here

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
newcut.jpg

Picked up a 86 cutlass the past weekend. This will be my 3rd one, but I haven't had one in about 25 years. I bought the car with the goal of just having a long term project to mess with. I'm wrapping up my build on 96 TA I've had for 24 years that I LS/M6 swapped. SOOOOO the LT1/A4 is going in the cutlass. I do have my first question for you guys tho. What is the RPO code for the maroon interior? I'm looking to get some refresh spray for some plastics. SEM? Dupont? What's the go to? Part number any help would be great!!

TIA looking forward to talking to some of y'all

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Open trunk. Look for "Service Parts Identification" label, aka SPID. You'll see a bunch of codes on there. 79I, C, etc.

Example: 79C- Dark Claret cloth for 1986.

You can usually go to any reputable autobody paint store and get some mixed up to match your shade exactly. That's what I would do. Sometimes they can even put it in a spray can for you if you don't have any spray equipment.

Reactions: 1 user

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
Open trunk. Look for "Service Parts Identification" label, aka SPID. You'll see a bunch of codes on there. 79I, C, etc.

Example: 79C- Dark Claret cloth for 1986.

You can usually go to any reputable autobody paint store and get some mixed up to match your shade exactly. That's what I would do. Sometimes they can even put it in a spray can for you if you don't have any spray equipment.
I see a 79I- Is that still Dark Claret Cloth?

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, good looking ride. I'm sure everyone would love to see some pics of the T/A, when I redid my interior I used SEM and have been very happy with the results

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
Welcome, good looking ride. I'm sure everyone would love to see some pics of the T/A, when I redid my interior I used SEM and have been very happy with the results
Thanks man! The 4th pic is the LT1 that's going in the Cutlass. Last pic is the LQ4 when I was building it

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
  • chasedint.jpg
    chasedint.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27
  • chased2.jpg
    chased2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 27
  • chasedmotor.jpg
    chasedmotor.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27
  • Buick.jpg
    Buick.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 29
  • TALS1.jpg
    TALS1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I see a 79I- Is that still Dark Claret Cloth?

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
79I is interior trim. 799 is seat belt color, 79B is for your cloth, apparently. Sometimes they use a C, sometimes a B, not sure what the difference is, I haven't dug that deep into the breakdowns. May have something to do with the material going on what seat type, I am not sure. I might dig into that one day. But not right now.

Now, xxU and xxL (two number paint code for the x x as an example) are upper and lower exterior paint colors, if used. so xxL and xxU would be for exterior paint colors. You have 15U, meaning medium gray metallic paint all over.

Since it's a supreme (GR47 in the VIN), those buckets didn't come standard in it. In fact, A65 tells me it had a cloth front bench split with folding armrest.

Basically, everything inside should be dark claret, aka maroon. Go with 1986 code 79. They'll know what to do.

N33 is tilt wheel, A01 is tinted windows all around, C60 is A/C, and LD5 is 231 V6, and an MV9 TH200 3 speed, with lockup tc. All through the 2.41 gears, GU1, in a G89 7.5" rear out the back.

N67 14x6 chrome SSIII wheels, black inlay, and QMX P195/75R14 BW steel belted radial tires.

UK4 AM/FM stereo radio, with seek and scan. Plus the VK3 front license plate bracket.

But that's pretty much it. A sparsely equipped Cutlass. But nice looking, nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 users

Chased

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 1, 2024
79I is interior trim. 799 is seat belt color, 79B is for your cloth, apparently. Sometimes they use a C, sometimes a B, not sure what the difference is, I haven't dug that deep into the breakdowns. May have something to do with the material going on what seat type, I am not sure. I might dig into that one day. But not right now.

Now, xxU and xxL (two number paint code for the x x as an example) are upper and lower exterior paint colors, if used. so xxL and xxU would be for exterior paint colors. You have 15U, meaning medium gray metallic paint all over.

Since it's a supreme (GR47 in the VIN), those buckets didn't come standard in it. In fact, A65 tells me it had a cloth front bench split with folding armrest.

Basically, everything inside should be dark claret, aka maroon. Go with 1986 code 79. They'll know what to do.

N33 is tilt wheel, A01 is tinted windows all around, C60 is A/C, and LD5 is 231 V6, and an MV9 TH200 3 speed, with lockup tc. All through the 2.41 gears, GU1, in a G89 7.5" rear out the back.

N67 14x6 chrome SSIII wheels, black inlay, and QMX P195/75R14 BW steel belted radial tires.

UK4 AM/FM stereo radio, with seek and scan. Plus the VK3 front license plate bracket.

But that's pretty much it. A sparsely equipped Cutlass. But nice looking, nonetheless.
Man you are a MACHINE!!!! And yes, I know the buckets did not come in the car. I have the bench seat cover in the truck along with a center console and really nice dash with the tach style gauges that came with the car..

Thanks a ton man!!!! You answered questions I would have had down the road!!

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Good looking ride too, I am not usually a big fan of that style T/A but you pull it off well

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor