Crucial118's 86 Cutty Salon 307->350->406->(TURBO) Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
BuWaGone said:
My sanderson headers look exactyl like yours, forget if you mentioned brands. But sandersons say not to run gaskets just a bead of RTV around each port.
Yeah, they look like the Sandersons, but they're not. They came with some gaskets, so I figured they needed them. I just don't feel that the gaskets I bought sealed good. I tightened the bolts recently(some had backed off like a full turn or 2) and the leak sounded a lot better, but still not 100% sealed. I think I will order some of the copper type gaskets in the future and try them. Maybe I'll give the Stage 8 fasteners a try, but I don't think they will go on without a fight. :D

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Been a while since I updated, so 1st I have installed a set of Earls header gaskets(http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-29d03berl) and they are working great so far. The passenger side(which is the hardest to install, go figure) was blown. I also replaced the turbo gasket with a copper one, since I had to take it off to get to the passenger side header. I am also using lock washers on the bolts that would allow. I also had to replace my leaky fuel pump block off plate that I turned into a turbo drain return. I couldn't get -10AN fitting to seal up, so I installed a Canton Racing piece that included a -10AN male fitting welded to it(http://www.ebay.com/itm/321148134972?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT). I think this will stop my annoying oil leak.

On the better side, I took a 1.5 hour ride on Sunday to pick up my winter project. Scored a hell of a deal on a t5 conversion. Now I just need to get a set of pedals.

Attachments

• Cutlass T5 swap1.jpg
    Cutlass T5 swap1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 787
  • blown header gasket.jpg
    blown header gasket.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 823

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
1979Calais said:
Dam that header gaskets looks bad. Glad you got it fixed, can't wait to see it run in person.
Yup. One step at a time. :D I'm just hoping mine will look as good as yours when your done...one step at a time.

On a side note...BAM! Went to Crazy Rays pick and pull, in Jessup, and scored a set of clutch/brake pedals off a 3rd gen camaro. Was a little pissed yesterday because I almost got the pedals off(pain in the *ss by the way) and they threw me out because it was 5:00, closing time. I told them I only had 1 more bolt and the guy made me leave. :evil: All day long today at work, all I could think about was going back today and someone scoring an easy pull. Lucky me no one needed them. They go for $150+ all day on ebay, I got them for $21. Yes! :mrgreen:

Now I think I have everything to get this done. By the way, http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/ and http://www.monte-list.com/tech/fivespeed.shtml are excellent sites on this swap.

Attachments

• T5 f-body clutch and brake pedal.jpg
    T5 f-body clutch and brake pedal.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 703

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Everyone likes videos, so here' s one for ya...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIz_pjd_0-Y

Back to the work bench. With the high pressure oil pump, my brother blew out the shaft O-rings and is burning oil out the tail pipe. At WOT I'm pushing about 80-100psi. I will have to find a restrictor for the oil feed. Guess with it being an Ebay turbo I should be happy with just that. There was oil on the turbine side and the compressor sides of the shaft. One good thing is that, with the placement of the turbo, it only took me 1/2 hour to take it out and apart. You know, I'm not sure if I'm mad at the fact that the O-rings blew, or that my brother did it. :lol:

Attachments

• 1Cutty turbo fix oil o-ring 8-2-14.jpg
    1Cutty turbo fix oil o-ring 8-2-14.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 2Cutty turbo fix oil o-ring 8-2-14.jpg
    2Cutty turbo fix oil o-ring 8-2-14.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 583

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Nice find with the T5. What build up parts are you getting to make the T5 handle your motor's power? I'm saving up to switch to a T56. I was gonna build my T5 through G-Force Transmissions and I love driving it but, I want the extra gear.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
jetsetw31 said:
Nice find with the T5. What build up parts are you getting to make the T5 handle your motor's power? I'm saving up to switch to a T56. I was gonna build my T5 through G-Force Transmissions and I love driving it but, I want the extra gear.
Jetsetw31, when I find something for a good price that supposedly works with no problems, I put it in until I break it. :lol: Then I upgrade and say "Damn, I should've done this first." The guy I bought it from said it had work done to it, but was unsure what because he bought the engine and the trans came with it. I've been lucky(knock on wood) when I've bought a major part(engine, trans, rear) and the guy I bought it from said it works and it works. If/when it breaks, I will probably take it to a local shop near me and get it upgraded.

I wish I could find a t56 for a reasonable price. Everyone near hear wants a mint for one. They are the LS1's of transmissions.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Been a while. Found the culprit. No compression in #3 cylinder. Wasn't the turbos fault. Forged everything from now on...

Attachments

• 20140915_150410.jpg
    20140915_150410.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 401
  • 20140915_150431.jpg
    20140915_150431.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 390
  • 20140915_150452.jpg
    20140915_150452.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 383
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor