cs144 upgrade. Voltage still drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_wms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2012
Upgraded to the cs144 and my voltage still drops. What could be wrong? Running 4 guage battery wire, napa harness adapter, everything is tight. With my blower fan on high, headlight on, and my guage still is in the yellow. Should have just waited until i did the engine swap with the 403 i purchased last week.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I might be able to help you with this. What motor are you running? When does the voltage drop? Or what makes the voltage? Did you wire the alternator yourself, or did you buy the napa harness? If you got the napa harness did you get the correct harness. Reason I state correct harness due to if you have a charge light or a gauge you need a different gauge

What occurred on my car was the wire installed in the alternator was the a/c.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
If you have a charge light you don't need a diode. The diode is there for people (like myself) that don't run a charge light and don't want to rev the engine to excite the alternator so that it starts charging.

brian_wms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2012
307 engine and it's a napa harness, and i dont have a light just a guage. The harness is Pico 5327PT

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
FE3X CLONE said:
If you have a charge light you don't need a diode. The diode is there for people (like myself) that don't run a charge light and don't want to rev the engine to excite the alternator so that it starts charging.
Thanks for the correction...ill edit my post

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
brian_wms said:
307 engine and it's a napa harness, and i dont have a light just a guage. The harness is Pico 5327PT
What results in you losing power?

brian_wms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2012
it drops when i turn everything on, I thought when i switch to the 140 amp alternator the volts should be steady. Not dropping like the factory alternator.

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
brian_wms said:
it drops when i turn everything on, I thought when i switch to the 140 amp alternator the volts should be steady. Not dropping like the factory alternator.

So the volts were dropping with the stock alternator? What amp alternator? Do your volts stay consistent without the electronics or the headlights? What electronics are you referring to?

brian_wms

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 4, 2012
yes it's steady at maybe 13 volts with everything off. But with blower fan on high and headlights on, voltage drops, its in the yellow on my guage. my old alternator was doing that. So i guess ill switch it back and sell the cs144. I don't see any advantage of having it, unless i'm doing something wrong.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Did you upgrade your charge wire from the alternator to the battery? You need a larger gauge when going with a higher amp alternator.

At what rpm are you checking the voltage? Does it change with rpm (it should).

Have you checked the voltage at the battery while the car is running? Don't use your gauges, those are horribly inaccurate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor