Custom grind Olds roller cams, who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I plan to pull the 442's 307 when I park it this winter for storage to regasket it and paint it, I figure while its out, upgrade to full roller rockers and possibly have someone grind a roller cam to the specs of the flat tappet custom grind that it has already, basically upgrading to a full roller valvetrain. I know many companies offer custom grinds but I havent found one that does custom grind hydraulic rollers for olds. Anyone know a company or person that does?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I've was always of the assumption any cam manufacturer can custom grind you a cam using any of the lobe profiles they have. Call Bullet cams.

With that said, you will be sorely dissapointed with your investment. Without upping your compression ratio ( and perhaps working the heads for better flow as well ) a bigger cam isn't going to help you much, and about $650 for a roller cam and lifters is alot of money for little to no gain. Roller rockers aren't going to do anything either other than give you an adjustable valve train.

I too was going to cam my VIN9 motor years ago until I thought that without more CR it was pointless, so I then decided doing up some heads would be a better way to go instead. In the end though I realized this was all a big waste of time when I could put less money into a 350 and go faster all with the same stock look.

If you insist on keeping the stock 307 for some reason, converting everything to roller is not the best bang for your buck. Remember than without compression, you can't really do much.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Waste of money to have a hydraulic roller custom ground to match a flat tappet cam, especially a stock flat tappet.

Rollers shine not so much because they have a roller lift but because they allow so much more lift for a given duration compared to a flat tappet cam. Not taking advantage of that just isn't worth it.
On top of that, if your heads can't flow enough air at the roller's increase lift area, then there's really no point.

As far as custom grinds, ANY manufacturer can custom grind a cam. Doesn't matter what engine it is.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
FE3X CLONE said:
Rollers shine not so much because they have a roller lift but because they allow so much more lift for a given duration compared to a flat tappet cam.

Dont forget the rate of lift too. Rollers can ramp up alot quicker.

All area under the curve.

And x3 on the heads. A buddy had an overcammed 350 with warmed over heads, but they still couldnt support the cam.

The engine screamed off the line and was all done by about 3500rpm. Totally fell on its face.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Just trying to see if there's anything else worth getting out of it then whats done to it. It has a warmer cam than a VIN 9 and a 10.0:1 compression all on the computer controls. I'm trying to keep an almost factory stock look also.

the 307 is also the original motor and it runs good the way it is but I thought maybe there's more to be had valvetrain wise then what I have now.

Thanks for the input fellas.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I highly doubt you have 10:1 CR. If you did, it would'nt be able to run on the computer. What all did you do to get your claimed CR? I would suggest when you tear your engine down to measure your actual CR and then call a cam manufacturer for a cam recomendation.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Yeah theres no way you have 10:1 CR in that 307, youve been told a STORY by somebody or the previous owner for that matter. Even a mild built, damn good running Olds 350 with no CCC likely doesnt have 10:1 CR.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Call Mondello Performance. 805.237.8808 They are the most recognized Olds performance shop in the industry.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Ringers said:
Call Mondello Performance. 805.237.8808 They are the most recognized Olds performance shop in the industry.

I would advise you not to deal with Mondello. I bought a cam and lifters from them about a year ago, it was supposed to be a cam they listed as mild street performance and the lifters were bought new to match. The cam and lifters was $280.00 and came with no cam specs or anything that identified it as the cam i bought. Mondello is not a reputable performance shop anymore.........since a guy named Lynn bought it. Check around the forums.........plenty of negative experiences dealing with them. Just a warning, take the risk if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor