Custom grind Olds roller cams, who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Someone may have put in the now discontinued TRW forged flat tops. Still short of 10 to 1, unless a bunch of milling was done.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I've got an Engle 22/25H, but I don't guess you can consider it "custom ground"........I actually bought it from Mondello YEARS ago (before I knew of the waning reputation), and it like most of their stuff, it is someone else's product repackaged.....my springs were COMP repackaged, the rockers as well, IIRC.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Ringers said:
Call Mondello Performance. 805.237.8808 They are the most recognized Olds performance shop in the industry.

HELL NO!!!! That place is a joke. I can't believe anybody still goes there or recommends them. WAY too many documented horrible experiences to even consider them. Stay away!!!

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Why wouldnt I be able to run the computer with high compression? I bought the motor this way, .012 mill on the heads, .030 over block, dont know if they're dished or flat, but probably dished pistons.It may be a decked block but I'm not entirely sure. I run 93 octane and no pinging.
DoubleV said:
I highly doubt you have 10:1 CR. If you did, it would'nt be able to run on the computer. What all did you do to get your claimed CR? I would suggest when you tear your engine down to measure your actual CR and then call a cam manufacturer for a cam recomendation.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
93 octane on that motor is not whats keeping it from pinging. It doesnt appear to me that much is known about the motor in question, and why would you want to run CCC on a built motor? If im wrong correct me, but your ECM is not calibrated or equipped to run your motor if it were a higher CR motor. Yank it! put in a nice mill and take your 307 fishing.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Timing curve on stock CCC is calibrated for very low CR. It's too aggressive for 10:1. Trust us, you do not have 10:1 CR and you can't really pick out a new cam without knowing what it really is. People are always overestimating what they have for CR. This is why there are so many 'high compression', overcammed turds running around.

Also, your heads suck, so going too big on a cam doesn't really help out as much as it would with a good set of heads.

And last but not least, the CCC system requires good vacuum to function which you aren't going to get from a big cam.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Cam is .473 lift,duration @ .050 212 int/exh, lobe separation is 114. this motor isnt crap, runs pretty good the way it is, I just thought maybe there's something I could do to improve it (no more engine swap remarks, I've done that before and this is the original motor for this car anyway).

I made a thread earlier in the year about wanting to run computer controls and actually have a decent performance margin to go with it while having it 'stock appearing', I was very interested to hear that this car has a worked 307 in it, and still retains the CCC and the a/c which is why I ask if maybe I can make a couple more horses while still using the computer,block.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
IMO, if you want more power, work the heads and don't worry about the cam. There's only so much you can do to a set of 5A's ( you do have 5A's don't you? ) without getting into crazy expensive super stocker sh*t, but you can still get them to work alot better than stock doing just 'the basics' like bigger valves, good valve job, blend bowls, etc. You can see what your TRUE CR is at this time too.

Just remember whatever you do, down the road you are 95% likely to want more power and that's when you start kicking yourself for putting money into a 307. I'm already kicking myself for building such a mild 350 ( since I wanted the stocker look with the CCC system and all that, but not anymore.... ) so I can only imagine the way I would've felt if I went ahead with my original plan of 'working over' my 307. :oops: :x :cry: :blam: :puke:

Simply put, once you get a taste of speed you'll always want more, and when you realize a 307 can't get you there, you end up with a new bigger motor and all the money spent on the 307 is wasted. How do I know this, because this sort of thing has happened to almost every hotrodder on the planet! This happening to me right now with my mild 350!

P.S. Do you have any idea what your car would run at the track? 0 to 60 time? Race any other cars on the street? Anything that gives us an idea what level of performance you're at?

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
How do I know this, because this sort of thing has happened to almost every hotrodder on the planet!

Well said DoubleV, its exactly the reason i took my 307 fishing and traded up for a built Olds 350...........simply put, theres no replacement for displacement!

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
MrLightning said:
How do I know this, because this sort of thing has happened to almost every hotrodder on the planet!

Well said DoubleV, its exactly the reason i took my 307 fishing and traded up for a built Olds 350...........simply put, theres no replacement for displacement!

you got that right and speed cost money so how fast do you want to go.

I see no point in spending all that money for a roller version of such a little cam. Just stick with what you have. Roller cams are nice and thats what i went to, but im dealing with .588 lift which is way more than what you run. You would not only have to change cam and lifters you would be getting into the heads anyways as you would have to change springs as it is my understanding that roller cams require more valve spring pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor