Cut 1/4 off 5660 coil springs... And ruined them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You could smooth out the groove carefully if it would make you feel more confident.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm just wondering whether its compromised. If I hit a pothole will it crack at that spot?

As stated earlier, the load on the spring is spread across the whole thing. There's less than 1% of the total spring load on that 1 little spot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you don't feel comfortable using it I would buy a new spring. The front springs are not the easiest job to change so I would want to go through that job and then decide you don't trust the spring and end up changing it. Springs are not that expensive and cheaper than the cost of something bothering you all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
JB weld it, sand it, paint it and it will be good as new

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
you don't feel comfortable using it I would buy a new spring. The front springs are not the easiest job to change so I would want to go through that job and then decide you don't trust the spring and end up changing it. Springs are not that expensive and cheaper than the cost of something bothering you all the time
I'm fine with it now that I know there not compromised. By the way you seem to have knowledge on these 5660's. How come no one knows for sure how much of a drop cutting these will give? I heard cutting a whole coil off this spring is anywhere from 1 inch to like 4 inches

weld it, sand it, paint it and it will be good as new
Already painted them with chassis black paint from a can, although filling it with jb weld sounds like a good idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor