Cut the cable and streaming services opinions

We do have a firestick and utilize the free stuff on that. We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime which we share with my son and he shares his Disney+ with us.

• Agree
Reactions: Tony1968 and ssn696
Free science project, just offer me $20 for shipping. This one was too small for my range to the transmitter, and Amazon did not want it back.
A10F4B66-CC9E-4F61-BC79-E1EE077DFA05.jpeg
The old 16-foot Channel Masters are all gone now because 90% of the elements were to pick up VHF, which is not used for digital. Pair this with 35 dollar signal amplifier, and you might be good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1968
We do have a firestick and utilize the free stuff on that. We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime which we share with my son and he shares his Disney+ with us.
Agree. Amazon Prime comes with a bunch of free stuff if you can program your TV or get a Firestick. Does not help if you want to watch sports. Being a geek, I will admit that I also go to our local library and borrow DVD movies.

Last edited:
My friends make fun of me. They say I live like a pilgrim as I've never had cable. I don't watch TV. I think it's how I was raised. We were forced outside in the am, and didn't come in until night. The TV is brain rotting, and borderline useless in today's world imo. But with that said, I moved my girl in so I had to get something (she's 25) I pay 55$ a month for internet. I use my sisters Netflix,Disney. My friends HBO max and my Amazon prime. And the only thing I watch came with my smart tv. Its a 24/7 cops channel. I personally like to read, gain knowledge and better outside. My son is starting BJJ next week,then football starts recommend "Brave new world" and "1984" in that order. 😆 🤣

We have a basic subscription from Spectrum, the local cable company, that gives me 10 cable channels that I picked from a list for an additional $15 on top of my internet service - $90/month. Then Motortrend for $5/month, Netflix and Amazon Prime for another $20/month. I've had Direct TV, Dish Network and local full cable - all of them turn into $200/month. My internet service is $75/month, that is included in the $90 above, for the fastest stuff available. I am considering swapping the internet service to something different to try and save $20-40/month.

I have given up on US sports other than the ones that create hydrocarbon emissions - the anthem kneelers made me throw in the towel - can't take it and WILL NOT support them. Which sucks a lot because I used to enjoy them. I would listen to most every Met's and Giant's (NY that is) games for more than 3 decades.

Dropped cable, well actually satellite, several years ago. Internet is a must, we have FIOS basic service which is 100 mbps.. We have Amazon prime, Hulu, Paramount, A&E, Netflix, and one other I don't remember the name of. We share a couple of those with the I laws, and they share their passwords with us so we're not paying for all of those services. More than enough for what we watch. Cheaper than cable or satellite.

I have T-Mobile home internet, it's locked in for life at $50/month. Its cellular, so all those coax and phone line boxes & wires are now in the trash. Outside of house even looks better haha.

For regular nbc/cbs/etc I put an antenna in our attic, probably get 40+ channels.

To convince my wife to drop our cable tv service, I agreed to pay for slingtv. They have different packages, I think mine is $30/month... It streams live network tv, just like regular tv cable service but costs much less.

There is also an app called Pluto TV, it's completely free and has a ton of stuff. I watch lots of the "this old house" channel on Pluto.

Good luck!

Looking to save money and getting a streaming service. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what they recommend.
Thanks

I've been cable free for about 10 years, but here are my recommendations:

1. Make a list (preferably in Excel) of all of the shows that the people in your household watch.
2. Determine if it's important for those shows to be watched live.
3. Do you watch live sports? If so, are those sports aired on broadcast tv or cable?
4. Do you have any close family/friends that you can split streaming cost with for shared accounts? For example, if you and a buddy can share Netflix, one person can make the account, and another person can pay them a certain percentage (I do 35%) of the plan up front for a year for an added account.

I don't watch live tv, so it's much easier for me, but if you do, Hulu Live TV and Youtube TV are options. I subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, MTOD, and maybe one more thing. I share Youtube Premium (no ads) with a friend. My mom has cable, so I use her login for streaming HBO, Starz, etc...

My internet for 300mbps is $50 per month. All my TV's use the Roku platform, some are built in, some are USB dongles.

I have NEVER had cable. I refuse to pay for more commercials than free TV has. Being in NYC I get about 70 channels free OTA. Sure, I don't need the ethnic or shopping channels but I get a lot that basic cable doesn't offer like MOVIES!, Get TV, Decades, THIS, ION, ME-TV, and plenty of other small ones. And I get all the "normal" channels and their spin-offs. I don't watch much TV but when I do the regular prime time lineup is about all I can handle. I do enjoy KOJAK re-runs. Wow, NYC when there was actually parking spaces!

I have NEVER had cable. I refuse to pay for more commercials than free TV has. Being in NYC I get about 70 channels free OTA. Sure, I don't need the ethnic or shopping channels but I get a lot that basic cable doesn't offer like MOVIES!, Get TV, Decades, THIS, ION, ME-TV, and plenty of other small ones. And I get all the "normal" channels and their spin-offs. I don't watch much TV but when I do the regular prime time lineup is about all I can handle. I do enjoy KOJAK re-runs. Wow, NYC when there was actually parking spaces!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor