Cutlass Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
I ordered my window last week and when they came in I got them tinted. 20% on the back and quarters and 35% on the doors. I had them installed Friday, turned out pretty good. I pent some time trying to figure out how to get all the power window crap in but I got it.

I also finally got a picture of it outside the garage while I was waiting for the window guy but didn't get any after cause it started raining.

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
Getting to be about time for me to start hating on you now :rofl: I won't ever be able to cruise around you as my car will look like crap next to yours!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
You've done a great job. Now i'm afraid to pull mine apart. :shock:

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Looking great! I love the tinted windows- I am going to do mine the same. 20% in back and 35% on sides. Thats all that is legal in mass.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
Good news! Found someone in the area to stich my seat belts for me. So now I will have a basically brand new set of seat belts. I also picked up some cheap vinyl to cover my rear deck and started working on my rear speakers in the side sail panels. As much as I hated doing it, I cut some holes in the side of the car so the speakers will fit.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
More updates on the interior. Ordered a new plastic headliner from mikesmontes. Mine was in decent shape but didn't think it would survive me trying to recover it. I fine tuned the rear speaker locations and have that just about the way I want. Got the trunk light and electric trunk release working. I modified a split power seat track to work on my bucket but couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was working in the car but worked when I bench tested it. Turns out I was missing a power wire from the fuse box to the white bus bar where the door pin switch goes too. I didn't realize that side didn't have power, but its fixed now. Lastly I have the carpet in. Its just sitting there for now, hopefully taking a little shape while its sitting.

tcolvinOH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 4, 2013
Nice job thus far, fraido! Looks like light at the end of the tunnel. Some really good insights on what appears to be a build done right. The attention to detail is amazing. A couple of things that I found pretty interesting: color choice is spot on, the steering wheel is fantastic (was considering one of these for mine), and the bedliner on the underside and floors is something I probably would have never thought of, but just makes too much sense to do.

It's really detailed builds like this one that really bring out the potential of the car. It is also builds like this one that make me wish I actually had a garage to work out of when I actually start my build. Right now, I'm just tackling little things until I can handle some logistics. My only option right now is to use the parking lot at work, which is fine until the weather turns sour in a couple of months.

One question. Are you re-doing your dash bezels in black as well? I'm considering re-doing mine when I overhaul the interior (probably not going to keep the wood grain). I'd like to redo them, but am curious about how to repaint the bordering and the lettering that is on the bezels (the radio bezel for instance has the white border around the heater/AC controls, as well as lettering right about where the lighter plugs in). Any thoughts? Worst case, I could just leave it off, but I thought it would be a nice touch to maintain it. The radio bezel is probably the only one of any importance to me in this area, especially since I have a radio bezel out of an older model Cutlass that I want to maintain, which has the shaft style radio cutouts with lettering above the cutouts for the shaft radio knobs).

Again, nice work. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Thanks for the insights!

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
Great news! My seat covers finally showed up. One of the next projects= seats.

I also have been working on redoing some sun visors. I got some out of a lincoln with home link, and also a set out of an explorer. I wanted to find some that were long/wide enough to actually block the sun from the side. I had to canibilize both sets to make one set I liked. Used sem paint to do the mirror off of the explorer then used headliner material to rewrap them. Turned out amazing so far.

I also recieved my electric choke kit for my edelbrock 750. That is soon to come as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor