Dad's 62 Ford Galaxie

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I'm anxious to see the finished product.. I'm sure you guys feel the same way. It's been a long time project. Looking at the body style, I never realized before how long the quarter panels were on that car.
I'm glad that the car is roadworthy and runs well.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Jared, this is a great update. I know Justin will perform his magic, and the car will look fantastic when he's done.

This means wrenches will be turning on the GP soon...(y)

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
I'm anxious to see the finished product.. I'm sure you guys feel the same way. It's been a long time project. Looking at the body style, I never realized before how long the quarter panels were on that car.
I'm glad that the car is roadworthy and runs well.

Thanks Jack! We are very anxious. On the length of the quarter panel, you don't remember Steve's reply earlier in the thread?...….Post No. 92 on page 10....
I was just wondering how this is called a 1/4 panel when it is 1/2 the length of the car...:D

20170520_123546_1495301790800-jpg.66537

What color? Black?

Yes sir. It will be black. It will be painted with Centauri Enamel, like all the jambs, interior bottom of the car have been painted.

Jared, this is a great update. I know Justin will perform his magic, and the car will look fantastic when he's done.

This means wrenches will be turning on the GP soon...(y)

Thanks James. We are really excited that he is working on it. It means there is no unknown about how it is going to work out. I do think there will be progress on the GP this summer and then we'll hit it hard in the fall. My budget is limited as I'm saving up for our family vacation and I have a few projects on my truck, the Camaro and the Impala that I was driving. Still, I think the GP will get some attention.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack! We are very anxious. On the length of the quarter panel, you don't remember Steve's reply earlier in the thread?...….Post No. 92 on page 10....
Sorry Jared, I forgot all about that discussion. What's weird is that the length of the quarters are proportional to a 2-dr car, yet it has the appearance of filled in rear (4-dr) doors. I know it sounds crazy and isn't the case.
Perhaps it's the length of the doors that play tricks on your eyes. The doors seem shorter than your typical 2-dr doors, if that makes any sense.
For instance, when I see guys turn a 4-dr wagon into a 2-dr wagon or sedan delivery, and rather than swap the doors out for the longer 2-dr doors, they fill in the rear doors to simulate the 2-dr look. It looks out of proportion.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Not a ton to report. The Galaxie is sort of in paint jail. The painter is still working on the project ahead of the Galaxie. It's a mid 60's Chevy regular cab pickup. I think the scope of the project got bigger after we took the Galaxie over there. Dad seems to be taking it in stride. From my perspective, I'm still excited the car is over there and in line to get painted. Still, when we took it over there, we thought it would be done by now. It will be worth it when it is done. Dad has done some work on getting the trim ready to go on the car. He's been polishing aluminum and stainless trim. He had several examples of most of the trim so he's been working on selecting the best pieces and cleaning and polishing them. He also repainted the red in the wide side trim. it goes down the side of the car from the fender to the quarter, and then a polished stainless spear goes over it. you end up with a red stripe above and below the stainless spear. Here's a pic right after he painted the side trim....

Fresh Paint Side Trim.jpg

That's Ford Rangoon Red, which is the correct color. It should look pretty striking against the black paint. Here is a pic with it untapped....

Untaped side trim.jpg

Dad also sent the Galaxie 500XL quarter panel scripts that he had off to be restored by a guy in Wisconsin, I think. Maybe Minnesota. These emblems are near unobtanium. Dad's came off the XL parts car over 20 years ago. They were in rough shape. They were missing pegs and both were broken in two pieces. They aren't perfect but are more than acceptable for a driver. Wait until Dad paints the black down in the 500XL portion of the emblem. They will look awesome!

Restored XL emblems.jpg

Dad bought a pair of "Smoothie" valve covers for the 390. They aren't correct for a 62. They are older than 62. I don't really get it but Dad is excited and that's what counts. They will look something like this...

1958-ford-fairlane-500-39850-actual-miles-352-cuin300-hp-5.jpg

I think he is going to paint them silver like the Thunderbird valve covers that are on the car right now....

HPIM1193.JPG

That's about it for now. Hopefully we'll have some news to report sometime soon. Until then,

Best,

Reactions: 7 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Whatever your Dad decides is OK by me. He's right, you know! My Dad is 94 and there's no point arguing anything with him. This was his toy he restored and sold it in 1986.
IMG_20150903_153941.jpg

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Whatever your Dad decides is OK by me. He's right, you know! My Dad is 94 and there's no point arguing anything with him. This was his toy he restored and sold it in 1986. View attachment 126656
Nice C-coupe, Ed,
I remember you posting a pic of it awhile back. I'm glad to hear that your dad is still here with us..
I still own mine. Perhaps it's time to sell after 44 yrs of ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jared,
I can't wait to see the finished product. It's going to be one sweet ride. Have you gotten back on the GP yet? Hopefully the weather will be more conducive to getting work accomplished. We'll be tuned in. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Nice C-coupe, Ed,
I remember you posting a pic of it awhile back. I'm glad to hear that your dad is still here with us..
I still own mine. Perhaps it's time to sell after 44 yrs of ownership.
Every time we talk about his Porsche he regrets selling it...keep that in mind. But he was a foolish 70 year old - he's matured now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor