De-chrome plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartrac3r

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2008
Kearney, NE
Aynbody know how to do it. I have a rear plate housing for a Grand prix that I want to de-chrome and paint black. Isn't there something about vinegar mixed with 1 or 2 other things that removes chrome from plastic?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
In my experience, most of the "chrome" on plastic can be removed with a scotch-brite pad. It also gives a little tooth for your paint to stick to.

illregal

Apprentice
Nov 13, 2009
you can soak it in pine-sol or oven cleaner too,but if you scuff it good enough and use some "bulldog" or etching primer you should be ok :lol:

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The "chrome" on plastic parts is almost always vacuum deposited aluminum. There are vendors who will put real chrome on plastic parts, but the factory did not use that process. I've found that a mild acid will usually remove the "chrome" with no ill effects to the plastic, and it's a lot less work than scrubbing (hey, I'm lazy!). I've actually accidentally removed this coating with acid-based flux for soldering copper pipes. You can also try muratic acid. Just be sure to thoroughly wash the acid off the parts before painting.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
No such thing as chromed plastic, unless you have a LOT of money...but I follow you. Just rough it up and prime/paint

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
You could sandblast the plastic, couldn't you?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
RITTER said:
You could sandblast the plastic, couldn't you?

Only if you want to destroy it...

The heat generated from the friction of the blasting would quickly warp, distort, and then ruin whatever piece you were working on.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Media blasting might work if you use a really low air pressure and plastic blasting material.

But as said, you'll probably end up messing the piece up more than when you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor