Declining interest in gbodys discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
IMG_1390.jpg
I just turned 24, built my first and only gbody 4 years ago at 20. People my age don't care to learn to work on cars let along have money to put into them. Most people are on drugs or some terrible habit issue. I love the gbody and have a lot of f41 suspension parts stored away from cars I've picked apart over the years. In 20 years one g body owner will be happy I saved them...

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
This is a great discussion, a lot of great points have been brought up, and I don't think anyone here is wrong. I'll add my piece.

I think the car trend as a whole is on the downswing as of lately for several reasons. One is, the 'throwaway' mentality kids are brought up with these days. People don't fix things anymore, they throw them away and buy a new one. For example, When was the last time you heard of someone getting their shoes repaired by a cobbler? When was the last time you saw someone patching a pair of jeans? Probably a long time ago. As such, people don't want to fix old cars either.

Secondly, as was previously brought up, public schools don't really teach skilled trades, and most high schools imply that college is required. I was very fortunate that my high school had a large budget for shop classes, and I learned an unfathomable amount of skills in my time there. I spent more than half of my high school days in the metal shop fine tuning my welding, brazing, and machining skills. Needless to say, I was not your average student and the high school still pressured me to attend college rather than pursue a trade. So with people not learning skills to repair things, they don't know how to fix stuff even if they wanted to.

Finally, as was also brought up, people don't have time for hobbies as much as they used to. We live in a fast paced world, where everything is always open, and no one knows how to rest. I recently read in a very interesting article, that the US workforce as a whole is 10 times more productive today than it was 50 years ago. And yet, we still don't seem to be satisfied with our efficiency. Most people still think everything needs to be faster, bigger, better, cheaper, and more profitable.

My thoughts can be summarized as- Most people don't want to fix old cars and most of the people who want to fix old cars don't know how and Most of the people who know how to fix old cars don't have time to fix them.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
I graduated from high school in '83. At that time cars were still simple to work on and is reality were fairly cheap. Nowadays cars are harder to work on making it difficult for a younger person to get into because they can't repair it easily. This in turn puts them off caring about their car much. It becomes transportation is all. As others have said the times have changed and people also value things differently. We do have less time for hobbies and less money. The parents have less disposable income so the car guy father may have given up on the hobby. Unfortunately it also takes common interest to make it enjoyable because being the one guy or kid that is into cars alone doesn't make it as fun.

Society has changed. Cars used to be a big part of the American culture. This started in the 50's. Just look at how much effort was put into styling. The cars all looked different. Designers didn't care about efficiency or coefficient of drag. They built cars to be appealing. That is gone now. Economy and versatility is king. Looks are now secondary as everything looks similar anyway. Driving old, inefficient cars doesn't appeal to a big chunk of the world we live in now.

Lastly finding parts is hard. The rise of metal cost crushed a lot of good parts 10 years ago. Junkyards where I live don't have much from the 80's if anything at all. So for a new g-body enthusiast they run into a pretty step wall to overcome. Sure there are some aftermarket suppliers but nothing like cars from the 60's. Maybe this will change for the g-body but it may take another 10 years or it may never happen. Suppliers are probably more fixated on big money cars vs our smaller following of these cars.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Personally I think we are in the "sweet" spot.
I think G-bodies are past the sweet spot. Lots of good stuff got crushed in the last decade, when steel prices were up and then when the government incentivized turning in perfectly good grannies. Most of what shows up in the yards are old parted out beaters dragged from where abandoned. This means that if you don't start with a complete survivor, you find out that the aftermarket does not yet have replacement bits for sale. This means the market has shifted upward in prices - more $$$ for survivors, more $$$ for aftermarket parts 'cause the 'yards don't have 'em, more $$$ to repaint and repair sheetmetal because the grannies have passed away. Those of us in the 'old fart' generation like me now have money but no time, so we either buy a 2010+ Camaro (fugly, good parts donor) or grab a cream puff for ($$$$) or pay a shop ($$$$$$) to make one. This leaves the average young gearhead out in the cold for resources. Best thing to do is make friends with one of us old farts. You might inherit a decent car when our wives intervene in our car-guy delusions....

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I'm pretty young. Ill only be 19 in this upcoming January. I can say that at least where I come from, I dont think interest in cars (in general) is down at all, but like most of you guys say, yes it has shifted to different types of cars. Here in middle Delaware, everyone is into trucks (at least all of the 'car guys' I know. Granted, they're no older than 22 at the most). Jeeps are big too.

In response to the OP, I can tell you that at least in Delaware, you cant walk around junkyards and pull whatever you want. That whole experience of building your car or truck from a variety of wrecked ones or finding nice junkyard gems is lacking here. Not sure if that contributes to anything or not, and not sure what other states are similar. Also, of the G bodies I have seen in my lifetime, I see more Chevrolets than anything else. A whole lot of Elcos, a few Montes, and a couple malibus. Nothing else. Not sure if thats just a First State thing or not.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Soon, when the batteries get better, we'll be dinosaurs.
Kids dont care about exhaust note. ANd those who do will satisfy with the fake noises pumped into the cabin through the speakers. As fake is their online personas, friends and relationships.

The newer generation will be more than happy to use and app to catch a selfdriving car to take them to school. Why own a car(and maintain it), when you can get transported with no obligations and responsibilities. You can catch up on kylie jenner and whats her name while you're being transported. Or share the costs with other occupants if you will. Most likely both.

Face it. We're a duying breed. And our souped up huffing and puffing v8's will be left in the dust by awd instantaneous torque from the electric vehicles if we try and fight them.

Reactions: 1 user

Mike buttafuoco

Apprentice
Sep 27, 2016
Carlisle, pa
As far as g bodies go, imo, they have always been an acquired taste. I am a product of the 80's so I fell in love with the monte ss a long time ago. I always liked the stuff that was not so common. Back in 95', I built a 76' cutlass with olds power because the mustangs and camaros at the time were king of the street. What a joke. Sorry. The thing is this; it is a smaller niche than others because these cars don't have the value that a Chevelle or a nova or a Camaro have. However, like most of you, I am a working man and want the best bang for my buck. Case and point: I sold my trophy winning 56' chevy restomod last year because I decided in I longer wanted to be part of that crowd. I could have had just about anything I wanted and I chose a Malibu because I love these cars and for me, it's a trip back in time. I feel 19 again when I am driving it. And it was a lot of car for the money. As far as them gaining value, I am of the opinion that they will increase in value because again, not everyone can afford the "me too" cars and with that, the right people will look to get something easy, fast and still looks good. And the ones that haven't rotted away or have been given some tlc, will get a much better buck. And furthermore, they are getting rarer and harder to find, no? I went to 7 different you pick yards and only one had 3 g bodies! I thought I was in heaven! So be positive, as it will happen. It may not get the to the point of a c2 corvette but it will grow and the rest will follow. I still think there is nothing sexier than a well done regal, monte or a Malibu.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I feel 19 again when I am driving it.

I'm of that era as well. Our (my son's) G-body makes me feel like a kid as well. I was in the 8-9th grade when his car was new - whenever I look at it I'm reminded of my youth and how much I wish I had one at that time. It was a 'new' muscle car of the era. That concept is forgotten nowadays - everyone seems to want an early 70's Chevelle/Camaro or a 2005+ Camaro or Mustang, but I remember when the parking lot was littered with the early 790's stuff as it was deemed as 'beaters'.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
image.jpeg
It's
frustrating as hell not finding corner lamps, interior trim, etc for these like chevelle a and camaros... But, for light rides with full frames, can't beat Em--- this 78 almost done with Resto- I'll do a thread this winter---

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor