Declining interest in gbodys discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
All hobbies in general are on the decline, some of it is the economy and the declining amount of free time as employers expect ever greater amounts of productivity. Plus for many young people, the internet is their hobby.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I sometimes suspect that some of the discussion that there is, is actually kids who don't even have a car just BSing around pretending to be into something in a discussion on the 'net. :p

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Maybe their value will go up. I saw a mass sell off maybe a year ago and nice cars for cheap. That included a decent 87 442 for under $5000. Most don't appeal to me being sbc powered from the factory and having the worthless 7.5" rear. New cars are just too impressive, comfort, power and fuel economy. For me to get 355 HP and 383 ft/lbs the Gen V has requires head work and a cam in the 220 to 230 duration with less fuel efficiency. I was never impressed by the Gen 3 or 4 LS V8, just gutlass down low, the Gen 5 is a different story.

Last edited:

m ack repeta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2016
I think it's kind of a mixed bag. Although there seems to be a declining interest in gbodys discussion, there are some things to consider. First of all consider the time of the year. A lot of toys have been put away (at least northern boys & girls) and forgotten. You also have to think about how much has been discussed here and already talked about. Some of us (llke me) are getting older and fading away - I'm hooked, it's my life, I'll be there till the end. The younger crowd has no interest in gbodys or in fact collector cars in general. Next show or cruise you go to take a look around and see what average age you come up with. If it isn't a gbody discussion members don't show much interest, I have tried starting a non gbody build tread for my dragster, and lately my Sonoma build but there was no real interest. I am a drag racer and our Racing, track, Heavy mod section is defiantly declined. If you are a racer I would hope you know about - Motor Mania TV - my family enjoys watching us race when we it these events. As far as gbodys loosing value I believe they have bottomed and will do nothing but increase in value. I also think the Grand Prix is a hard sell, at least mine was.
i,m not sayn i disagree . im from buffalo. now that winter is turnin its time to start cleanin up all the parts i chased down all summer. from shows junk yards, or the nice people like yous that help make it possible to get parts. to either paint ,powder coat or air brush. for a new look for the comin season.its en all year prodject. enjoy and collect all summer clean and plan all winter mack

Skitter302

Apprentice
Jan 20, 2014
USA, WA
Honestly I got into the GBody by accident. I needed a car and a family friend who flips cars had one for sale. $500 for a running car was nothing to leave behind for a guy who needed a daily driver. In my area (North West USA) These arn't too common. Me and one other guy had our GBodys Cutlass Supreme(s) in the Car Show. his was show room quality compared to mine but none the less I got my paint to shine. I have seen a few other Cutlass(s) one the street since then but most I see have been 4 door. I do see a few Elks here and there but most arn't owned by car people. So I would say that their are quite a few GBodys out there but they just not owned by car people.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"if another person can do it, so can I", so I've had a willingness to learn.
My sentiments exactly. Why would I pay someone to do what I can do? But no one wants to do anything anymore. I don't know anyone who even changes their own oil besides me. Forget about fixing up an old car. It's very sad but then I'm an old fart and I will be wrenching for as long as I can hold one in my hand. As far as discussion goes, winter is when I have time to join in. I fish all summer and do stuff so I really can't spend hours on my butt in front of a PC.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
i,m not sayn i disagree . im from buffalo. now that winter is turnin its time to start cleanin up all the parts i chased down all summer. from shows junk yards, or the nice people like yous that help make it possible to get parts. to either paint ,powder coat or air brush. for a new look for the comin season.its en all year prodject. enjoy and collect all summer clean and plan all winter mack

I can't agree with you more - I'm fortunate enough to have my own little shop (heated) and my wife has no problems finding me. My Sonoma project has played second fiddle to this years racing season but have been hard at it for the last month and a half. It will be ready this spring.I have had a request to continue my build thread so maybe I will. Also working on a spare bullet for the Regal and the Sonoma. As I said earlier this is what I live for.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Wish I had a heated shop, I just have to tough out the cold until it gets too bad.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I agree, a "shop" would be nice. I have a small one car garage built into the house, not even attached, like 8' ceiling. I put a window a/c in it and 2 electric space heaters all winter long. Anything I need to work on need to get switched in and out of the house, and it is tight in there, like can't open the doors. Someday I'll get a 2 car building with a lift out back, until then, I'll make it work, and do a lot of my work in the cold in the driveway.

m ack repeta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2016
I agree, a "shop" would be nice. I have a small one car garage built into the house, not even attached, like 8' ceiling. I put a window a/c in it and 2 electric space heaters all winter long. Anything I need to work on need to get switched in and out of the house, and it is tight in there, like can't open the doors. Someday I'll get a 2 car building with a lift out back, until then, I'll make it work, and do a lot of my work in the cold in the driveway.
like you my space isn,t heated so i have to squirel down in cellar to work on some things . or brave the cold to work on others. or really on a good friend to borrow his garage. but i manage to get the project at hand complete most times mack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor