Deionized or Distilled water in a cooling system?

Coolant of choice

• Straight Water

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I've been running straight creek water for years, no issues.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been running straight creek water for years, no issues.

New creek water > old rusty creek water. I switched to tap myself since I don't run coolant for 10 consecutive years.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately with consecutive months of -40 up here, straight water isn't an option. I usually go with 55 or 60% coolant to water, just to be safe.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Do NOT use deionized water. It is stripped of everything and doesn't have a charge either. Will attack anything it can to get a charge and some semblance of balance back. It's not good to drink either, will drain your body of nutrients.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
So isn't 50/50 coolant already half water and half coolant? Why would you add water to that?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Do NOT use deionized water. It is tripped of everything and doesn't have a charge either. Will attack anything it can to get a charge and some semblance of balance back. It's not good to drink either, will drain your body of nutrients.
Yup it’s true. It’s a chemistry thing.

Nov 4, 2012
New creek water > old rusty creek water. I switched to tap myself since I don't run coolant for 10 consecutive years.
I just filter my old rusty creek water through a coffee filter and put it back in. No reason to walk down to the creek if I don't have to.
So isn't 50/50 coolant already half water and half coolant? Why would you add water to that?
50/50 is prediluted with water, no mixing needed. I believe we are talking about the concentrated versions that you have do dilute yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor