Detroit Truetrac

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Alrighty then! I don't know what to tell you other than mine made noise with the 80w-90. I've got probably 15-20k on it with occasional strip passes. Only changed the fluid 3x.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I have 80w90 old school gear oil in mine and it's perfectly quiet. It's just some helical cut gears. They shouldn't make noise.

Reactions: 1 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I have a 9" Strange S-Trac (TruTrac). It whines and carries on but it works good, if laying two equal length black marks is the standard. Regular oil.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a 9" Strange S-Trac (TruTrac). It whines and carries on but it works good, if laying two equal length black marks is the standard. Regular oil.

Laying 2 blackies around a right hand corner is what I want from it.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
So I must confess, that the whining when decelerating and off throttle through curves and the random light cracking/popping are annoying enough that I have little confidence that it won't leave me stranded somewhere with the 600lb-ft+ of torque that is almost constantly applied with my engine. I have a G-force Detroit Locker setup with lighter springs that I'll put in soon. At least when it's popping I'll know it's normal, and there will never be any doubt of 'limited slip'. A TruTrac would make a great unit for the front end of a 4wd vehicle.
A 9" is at a disadvantage over a GM rear in that by design you only have clutches on one side. A 9" Traction Lock design, in my opinion, is pitiful at best with one set of clutches and a split side/spider gear on one side. Either a TruTrac or Detroit locker is a significant improvement, and not everybody is willing to live with a Detroit Locker.
The net is full of reports of 'whining' and mine would agree. Maybe yours won't, and maybe you won't care if it does.
Aluminum diff.jpg

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
In August 2017, I installed a TrueTrac into my 8.8 axle. Since that time, it has turned both rear tires every time I hit the throttle, even with one tire on gravel and the other on dry pavement. At the same time, when not under hard acceleration the differential is completely smooth and quiet. Off the throttle, it sounds and behaves just like an open differential; get on the gas and it instantly behaves like a spool.

I love it, and I could not recommend a limited slip more highly than this.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm 99% certain half the people in this conversation are NOT thinking about the TrueTrac, but rather a locker. Helical cut gears won't make noise unless something is wrong. Period. A Detroit locker will absolutely make noise, but it's a completely different carrier assembly. This is a TrueTrac.

Truetrac-Dana80-Exploded-1.jpg

This a Detroit Locker

264446210.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor