Diagnosing stalling at startup/engine bogging

AjBranson99

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2024
So as the title suggests, I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my Monte. It's the 1985 Monte Carlo with the 4.3l v6 tbi. The issues I'm running into are always at startup after the car has been sitting for a few hours or more. Whenever I start it after its been sitting, the engine will either idle really low stall or attempt to stall if I don't give it some gas, or will idle pretty high. (most of the time it idles low, I'd say that it idles high maybe 1/5th of the time) The other problem I have is within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, the engine will bog when I try to give it power while getting onto the highway. I don't floor it or anything, I try to be pretty gentile with this thing. I should add that the car was the lowest trim model you could get at the time, so the tach gauge doesn't have a needle or anything for me to actually read the rpms to see how low/high they get, but I would guess that when it idles high it is somewhere between 1000/1500 rpm. So far I have only replaced the fuel filter, and while that did help with the engine feeling more responsive after its been driven a bit, the problems I mentioned are still popping up. I am unsure of what I should look at next to solve these issues, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

So as the title suggests, I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with my Monte. It's the 1985 Monte Carlo with the 4.3l v6 tbi. The issues I'm running into are always at startup after the car has been sitting for a few hours or more. Whenever I start it after its been sitting, the engine will either idle really low stall or attempt to stall if I don't give it some gas, or will idle pretty high. (most of the time it idles low, I'd say that it idles high maybe 1/5th of the time) The other problem I have is within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, the engine will bog when I try to give it power while getting onto the highway. I don't floor it or anything, I try to be pretty gentile with this thing. I should add that the car was the lowest trim model you could get at the time, so the tach gauge doesn't have a needle or anything for me to actually read the rpms to see how low/high they get, but I would guess that when it idles high it is somewhere between 1000/1500 rpm. So far I have only replaced the fuel filter, and while that did help with the engine feeling more responsive after its been driven a bit, the problems I mentioned are still popping up. I am unsure of what I should look at next to solve these issues, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
I would start by lubricating the throttle shaft both side with real oil even black used oil ,also your going to need to check fuel pump pressure fuel filter and any maf sensor if it has one know your plugs condition ! and read what that indicates ect ?. Ect .If your ignition wires are 9 years old ? Get new ones"

Last edited:
I worked on these when new. It is OBD1 system. Look up on internet the basics of the OBD1 system, this will give you a little idea of how everything works.

Get a new O2 sensor, unplug the current one and plug in the new one. Zip tie it to something under the hood where it is out of the way and wont get hot or damaged. Doing this puts it "open loop" and not "Limpy". Go for a test drive, notice any changes and report back.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
Is your CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (CEL) working? Key on, engine off make sure that it lights up, then after starting it goes out.

If it doesn't light up, you may have a problem with the bulb, dash cluster, wiring or lamp driver. You want to be sure that CEL works because it's your first clue if there is something going on with the ECM and Engine Control/EFI/TBI system.

Here's some info from the Resources section of this site on the CEL and related components if you need.

If it's not working, you can't do the simple ALDL jumper and count light flashes for any stored codes and you'll need a code scanner for OBD1 which are not very common anymore. If it's working, fine and goes out when you start the car then that means at least there isn't an active fault code but there still might be a history one stored that if you can get with scan tool might help point in the right direction.

If all of the CEL is all ok, then you're gonna have to do the basic troubleshooting using some of the links above from prior post(s), as it could be fuel, air or spark related.

Does the car sit unused for long periods?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweet_Johnny

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor