Did I put the wrong side mount in?!

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Just replaced my drivers side motor mount. I had both driver and passenger new. It went it without a real hitch and bolted right up. Now I am questioning if I put the correct mount in. They are for a 1985 Cutlass V6, 3.8. I put in Oriely Auto Parts B2384 which shows as OE front right. But I put it on the driver's side and now I have B2382 which shows OE front left. The guys at Oriely were zero help. Did I seriously just put the wrong one in? How would I know as it did bolt right up. Do I need to swap it back out if wrong. Looking at pics they look almost the same.
Thanks for the help guys!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Only thing I have seen is on performance applications they can make the mount an interlocking type so that if the rubber were to fail the metal imbedded pieces would lock together preventing the motor from being allowed to to rotate up and let the fan destroy things. Maybe its a safety thing on all mounts now for the driver side.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I am picking up another passenger side mount today to compare to the driver side mount I have new and out of the vehicle to see the difference. No one locally has been able to tell me the difference. So I am gonna compare and see what they look like. I'll post pics this afternoon. Was only a 2 hour job...so if I need to swap it out...can do!

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
So went to pick up the mount today..and the incorrect mount was in the box. Smh. So to make this easier...does anyone have a picture of the V6 stock motor mounts so I can compare left to right? Also would it even be possible to install the wrong mount on that side. I have a car show Saturday so just want to ensure I am safe to bring her out. Thx guys!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I tried comparing online pictures, but you know how that is, you never know if its even the right picture. But there was a picture of a kit with all the mounts together, and it kinda looked like maybe the motor mount bolt was in a different location left to right side. Everything else looked the same as far as I could tell.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm really not sure WHAT the deal is with the V6 mounts, but back in the late 2000s sometime they superseded BOTH GM part numbers, which were different, to one single one, 22188876. For either side. The real question is, why the aftermarket keeps listing different part numbers???

This question came up before and I did find out that there were slight differences from the Turbo 6 guys. Something about a hump on the back of the driver side mount where passenger side was flat, and the bolt holes may vary slightly, but I'm not going to say conclusively because that's not first-hand info, just passing it along. Apparently, GM made an adjustment to use a single mount eventually.

Best thing to do is make a comparison between the 82 and 84 part numbers and note the details. That's probably where you'll see any differences, if any. It's got to be subtle if any.

It's quite possible the driver side may have had a lock device on it, but I don't know. I do know that the V8 Olds engines came with a single part number, fits either side for decades. Not much to them, though.

Reactions: 1 users

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Ok I got 2 new ones now to compare side by side. Left one is 2382 and right is 2384.
1000006601.jpg

1000006602.jpg

1000006603.jpg

1000006604.jpg

This is what came out of my drivers side.
1000006605.jpg

1000006606.jpg

I right now have 2384 in the drivers side which I learned is supposed to be passenger side and 2382 should be driver side.
Seeing these...you guys think I should spend the couple hours to swap this out or they close enough? I also see the extra metal tab up top on the one that is SUPPOSED to be drivers side. I see what others have said now.
What you guys think?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Ok I got 2 new ones now to compare side by side. Left one is 2382 and right is 2384.
View attachment 237404
View attachment 237405
View attachment 237406
View attachment 237407

This is what came out of my drivers side.
View attachment 237408
View attachment 237409

I right now have 2384 in the drivers side which I learned is supposed to be passenger side and 2382 should be driver side.
Seeing these...you guys think I should spend the couple hours to swap this out or they close enough? I also see the extra metal tab up top on the one that is SUPPOSED to be drivers side. I see what others have said now.
What you guys think?
If it was me I would just swap them they are different so put them in the right spot

Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
If it was me I would just swap them they are different so put them in the right spot
You think I would be good to drive it about 20 miles total round trip to this show Saturday then do it? Tight on time and not sure I can get it done before the show Saturday. I had only replaced the drivers side..so that is the only incorrect one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If it's holding the engine in, yeah, I think you could do it at your convenience if you want. To put it another way, I'd run it 20 miles to the show and back and then swap them.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor