did tune up now backfires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Hello all I have a question about a 2001 blazer xtreme 4.3ltr . My cousin had like a misfire sometimes while it was running . So we checked the spark plugs and determined they where in need of replacement . So we decided to do a full electrical tune up . Put new wires ,plugs,rotor,cap. The plugs are ac-Delco and they where gapped 0.050 . But the rad support said to gap them 0.060. So I gapped them accordingly. Well we replaced all that and now when we start the truck it backfires out of the exhaust . Strong fuel smell and blowing some fuel out the exhaust .

my question is what could be causing this problem? Should I have just left the plugs at 0.050 ?

any help will be appreciated for sure ty .

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
double check the wires that they are on and the firing order is correct.

If not I would close up the gap a bit. your probably not getting a good burn.

I don't remember what years but I know the ones with the spider injection they get cracks in the intakes which causing problems

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
.010 difference in plug gap wouldn't cause any issue, are you sure you have the firing order correct on the new wires? Popping in the exhaust is usually a cylinder firing when the exhaust valve is open, so double check everything. The "spider" intake injector set-up is on the multi port motor 4.3l easily noticed by the neon orange "Vortec" on the intake cover.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
I don't think this motor had the spider injection system. I think my cousin has checked the firing order . I'll make sure and double check that myself .

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Ok found a firing order had my cousin recheck and he has 1and 3 mixed up. Now will that have done anything harmful to the engine?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
No it won't hurt anything, people do far worse things than that to a motor everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor