Diesel works!! What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Early 5.7 diesels sometimes broke the crankshafts. The engine and the Stanadyne pumps are made for each other and there was not a lot of room left to push more fuel. They were designed for efficiency rather than power.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Carson, I hope we have not dashed your hopes. I like the advice above on uncorking the intake and exhaust. Maybe a 403 is the future right answer if these mods can transfer over. You already have the Hydroboost brake system, so if you go to gas, you can go big on the cam and still have good brakes.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
And the great thing about G-Bodies is the engine bays are so big, they’ll swallow just about any engine you want to shove under there.

In all sincerity, I'd say drive it and enjoy it as-is, do a few bolt-on and tuning upgrades that you can. Like others have said, the 5.7 diesels were never designed with performance in mind. The 6.2/6.5 swap into a G-Body has been done, and is probably the better way to go if you want to do any sort of performance upgrades.

https://dieselcamino.wordpress.com/

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I read that the 5.7 diesels lacked a water separator, which is somethig all diesels need. The unfortunate consequence was that steel components within the injector pump subsequently corroded over time and progressively starved the engine of fuel (power) and made them even more gutless. Did you have your injector pump overhauled? Consider adding a water separator.

Those engines have a small following. There are some folks out there who have learned how to overcome their design flaws and make them run reliably. The google search is your friend.

Carson L W

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
get some stanadyne fuel additive as the diesel fuel now a days lacks the Lubricity that injector pump on our cars need.
That's very good to know! I will be sure to do that.
Carson, I hope we have not dashed your hopes. I like the advice above on uncorking the intake and exhaust. Maybe a 403 is the future right answer if these mods can transfer over. You already have the Hydroboost brake system, so if you go to gas, you can go big on the cam and still have good brakes.
I will enjoy my ride no matter what, just seeing what else I could do to her 'cause that's the fun part about cars. I agree about the intake and exhaust, I'll see what happens. Who knows maybe someday I'll get a different engine but for now I might as well enjoy it as it is.
Did you have your injector pump overhauled? Consider adding a water separator
I haven't had the pump worked on, that might be something to do in the near future as well as the water separator.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What trans and gears are in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor