Distributor Cap and Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWCaprice2017

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2019
Hi Everyone!
I have an '84 Caprice with the 305. I got it two years ago. It's running a bit rough, I checked the Distributor Cap and Rotor--both are a bit burnt, probably why the engine's running a bit rough...that and I've not changed the spark plugs since getting it. Anyway, as I was about to order the Cap and Rotor, I discovered that the Cap has a Cover--I thought it was all one unit. What does the Cover...cover? Unless I'm told otherwise, I'll order the Cover along with the Cap and Rotor...and spark plug cables too (already got the plugs).
I saw that there are two ACDelco Caps for the car, which one should I use?
Thanks for your advice!
Bye,
Daniel

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hi Everyone!
I have an '84 Caprice with the 305. I got it two years ago. It's running a bit rough, I checked the Distributor Cap and Rotor--both are a bit burnt, probably why the engine's running a bit rough...that and I've not changed the spark plugs since getting it. Anyway, as I was about to order the Cap and Rotor, I discovered that the Cap has a Cover--I thought it was all one unit. What does the Cover...cover? Unless I'm told otherwise, I'll order the Cover along with the Cap and Rotor...and spark plug cables too (already got the plugs).
I saw that there are two ACDelco Caps for the car, which one should I use?
Thanks for your advice!
Bye,
Daniel
The ignition coil sits in the distributor cap, under that cover. You'll need to transfer your ignition coil from your old cap to the new one.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
cap- GM# 19110931. ACDelco# 336X

rotor- GM#19110934. ACDelco# D448X

The cap has a cover on it. For the ignition coil. Unless it's damaged, you usually don't need to replace the cover. But if you do, it's GM#1875960, or ACDelco #1875960X

Plug wires are GM# 88862424, or ACDelco #9608E

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

DWCaprice2017

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2019
Thank you, Texas82GP and 69hurstolds!
I decided to get an NGK ignition coil since I was replacing everything else,
except for the Cap cover--but there's a local parts store I can get it from
in case I need it.
I wish you good health!

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If its a stock GM cap, and it has the retaining ring that locates and secures the plug wires, then you have to lift that ring, the wires will come along for the ride, to get to the two screws that actually hold the cover in place. Looking at that ring, you will see that there are two plastic clips, one at each end, that lock it to the cover to keep it from coming off. You very gently push them aside with a large flat bladed screwdriver, or your thumbs, and, at the same time, gently pull up on the ring to get it to lift up and away. With it off, you can see the two screws, either hex head or phillips that need to be removed to get the cover off and gain access to the coil. The cap will come with a new rubber biscuit and contact tip, plus instructions on how to get them to play nice together. The dielectric grease in the little tube goes on the biscuit. Sticky stuff.

If you are running an aftermarket cap, Moroso or Accel as examples, then you may find that the cover screws are totally out in the open and easy to get to and that the plug wire terminal ends are just snapped onto their posts and can be gently encouraged to pop off. A fine point magic marker and some masking tape will let you tag the wires as to what plug they mate with. The trick here is to identify the Number One Plug wire and use the magic market to write "1" beside that terminal on the old cap before you pull all the wires and remove the cap.

Two things. GM distributors turn CLOCKWISE. So, when you use the old cap as your guide to identify what terminal on the new cap should be your number one, because it matches the terminal that you identified and marked as One on the old cap, then you use the firing order stamped into the manifold as your guide to installing the rest of the wires. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2,

And, When setting the wire terminals back onto their posts on the new cap, listen or feel for the "Click" or snap that is the indicator that the terminal end inside the boot has seated completely. It's not like the old timer wires; where Just pushing the boot onto the terminal tower and moving on did the trick, you have to get that solid snap that tells you that you have a locked connection or the plug will misfire or skip.

Oh, yeah, have a good extendable magnetic pickup tool handy, There are all kinds of neat little crevices at the back of small blocks where small screws can go to hide.

Nick

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I got a 84 caprice classic coupe 305 too. The cap is readily available where ever you shop online,autozone, napa, I think rockauto is having a closeout sale right now too on plugs and tune up stuff

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor