Distributor replacement, ECM controlled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Just an OEM steel line is fine. They lasted 40 years on our cars. If you want to wrap it something for extra protection, go for it. Can't hurt. Did you check the filter yet?
Ok, no worries. And I replaced the filter in the summer, when I installed the rubber hose there, although I suppose it could have gotten dirty since, as it's been run out of gas a few times due to the fuel gauge not working all the time, could have pumped whatever is at the bottom of that 30 year old tank possibly lol.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yup, that will do it. Did you test the squirters? The accelerator pump is what squirts gas into the carb to start up easy. It will also show up as a bog when you try to floor it. Unfortunately the carb must be opened to change it out.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Be sure to use a high quality replacement accel pump seal. Low grade replacements will quickly degrade with modern E10 gas.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Yup, that will do it. Did you test the squirters? The accelerator pump is what squirts gas into the carb to start up easy. It will also show up as a bog when you try to floor it. Unfortunately the carb must be opened to change it out.
Haven't tested them, other than to check if theres fuel spraying when I push on the pedal.

I'll check the filter on a day that isn't winter for now, and just have a local carburetor shop do a complete rebuild if the cause is the accelerator pump haha.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Be sure to use a high quality replacement accel pump seal. Low grade replacements will quickly degrade with modern E10 gas.
For sure, I will have our local shop rebuild it honestly, don't want to replace one thing if the whole carb being removed lmao.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The whole carb does not need to be removed from the engine to replace the accel pump. You only need to unb8lt the airhorn. Use a putty knife to depress the TPS when reinstalling the airhorn.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
The whole carb does not need to be removed from the engine to replace the accel pump. You only need to unb8lt the airhorn. Use a putty knife to depress the TPS when reinstalling the airhorn.
Oh for sure, I was aware of that but I decided if one important piece gets replaced- I might as well have a rebuild done on it, because the mechanic who owned it for 15 years never had it done, and I like to make sure it won't need addressing for a nice amount of time.

It's like the thermostat housing, it has a small leak so when it's replaced, I'm going with new coolant hoses as well because of their age. Same thing with my alternator, I am upgrading it so I decided to replace the belt since we are already removing it.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Be sure your local mechanic doesn't simply do a swap with a reman'd carb. Nowadays, very few if any mechanics are willling and able to do a carb rebuild. Installing a reman'd q-jet will lead to significant issues; once you let go of your stock carb fixing the problems will be expensive. Good luck!

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Be sure your local mechanic doesn't simply do a swap with a reman'd carb. Nowadays, very few if any mechanics are willling and able to do a carb rebuild. Installing a reman'd q-jet will lead to significant issues; once you let go of your stock carb fixing the problems will be expensive. Good luck!
Ok, will make sure because I don't want a remanufactured one that has been sitting on the shelf, I know a few places here in Ontario that can deal with these old quadrajets. Most are in the GTA I've noticed, although theres a few places in the country where I used to live, that did service carburetors.

Most of the guys are retired now though, which makes it a bit hard, but I will do my homework and look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor