Do any rear disc brakes fit 14" rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That looks like a better option without the crappy weights. The Seville bracket has a different offset than the F body bracket and doesn't work as well if at all. Looks like the Seville caliper should mount on the F body bracket.

I have the F body caliper brackets. I welded on hole closed and opened a hole so I could mount both caliper brackets to the rear. I have an 67 Chevelle rear so the backing plates for the drum are held on with 4 bolts which made the job easier. When I mocked up the set up I found the rotor was not in the center of the caliper so I made a 1/8" shim to move the caliper bracket and caliper out 1/8". I have the F body handbrake and the rear F body rear cables works with my drum brakes with no mods and will work with the Seville calipers

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
So effectively, the seville setup is what I want? Do they fit under a 14" wheel for sure though?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
So effectively, the seville setup is what I want? Do they fit under a 14" wheel for sure though?

When piecing mine together I bought a pair of Seville brackets and as noted the offset didn't work without serious fabrication / cobbling something together. When I finished the job I scrapped them out otherwise I would have given them to you. If you can find 3rd Gen F body rear brackets I would prefer those over the Seville set up. I agree with pontiacgp that the Seville calipers are a better design than the F body set up. Maybe you can find some nice used brackets on thirdgen.org As far as fitment....your welcome to drive to Michigan with your 14" rim : )

http://www.thirdgen.org/

Reactions: 1 user

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The jury is in! LT1 discs will clear a 14" steel wheel with a tiny spacer (1/8"). They clear the diameter, its just the backspace on a stock steelie that needs to be rectified, and at that, only by a hair.
My friend has a 94 formula and he let me test fit one of my wheels on his car, here are the results:

Resized_20170226_144128_zpslia96dzf.jpeg

Resized_20170226_144123_zpsdr8uhm6p.jpeg

Resized_20170226_144910_zpspnvuys4y.jpeg

Resized_20170226_144858_zpsgovcuoyp.jpeg

As you can see, the face of the caliper just touches the back of the rim where it necks down to meet the center. With the smallest spacer it would be perfect. I think this is the route I will be going on my 8.5.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
The only problems with using lt1 disc brakes are you would have to mod the emergency brake cable setup to work with your car and cut the flange on the rear end making it so you can't go back to drums. Compared to getting the scare bird brackets you use Cadillac Eldorado calipers and rotor's and either there emergency cables also or your factory ones with little modifying other than swap out master cylinder and proportioning valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor