Do I need mains alignhoned/bored after rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
429 Ford Thunderjet, knocked for a total of about 20 seconds before I shut it off. Ran perfectly fine, had good oil pressure, temp was good. I will have the crank turned .010 and the rods hogged out .010 with ARP bolts. It started knocking for about 10 seconds, then I shut it off. Bewildered, started it back up, started knocking again. Shut it back off, haven't touched it since. Opinions?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I might be a little wrong with my terminology here to be honest. On the crank, have the rod and main journals ground .010 (ten thousandths I think that is. Not good with decimal names) and have the rods resized with new ARP bolts. Also would I need OVERSIZED bearings then since material is being taken away? I can't find any anywhere. They are all undersized.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
And does the "UNDERSIZE" mean its for a crank that is undersized, or the bearings themselves are undersized? I've never dealt with non stock bearing sizes having built one engine before with stock clearances due to bottom end being 100% fine.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Undersize means undersize crank journal. Its not a main knocking, so a hone shouldn't be needed. You will most likely need the rods resized to make them round, but have them measured. You should measure every journal, main holes(?) and rod ends too.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Would the machine shop be able to resize the rods to a specific clearance, because I assume I'd need bigger bearings on the rods? so it'd be .010 PLUS whatever size they bring the rods out too?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Or would they just resize them to whatever they need to be then I get the closest bearing to match?

bubbameano

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2015
Florida
I just had a rod bearing go out & the machine shop man said as soon as it started knocking damaged was already done !

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
When a machine shop resizes rod ends they will mill a little material of the rod cap end where it meets the rod at the split. Then after that they will hone the big end back to the correct size. The bearing size is dependent of the rod journal size on the crank. For example a crank ground .010" smaller or "under" will need .010" smaller diameter bearing.

Reactions: 1 user

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Having the mains align honed may not be necessary but having it done makes your block one step closer to being "Blueprinted".
And there is power to be made from having a block blueprinted.
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor