Do I need mains alignhoned/bored after rod knock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I am unable to take the heads off, but I did take the intake off and valve covers. It is NOT valvetrain related, and my V6 did the same thing. I guess I just over spun the old girl, even if it was just at about 4,000rpm. It had enough of my shenanigans I suppose. Same knocking sound, albeit a lot less severe. It had good oil pressure, it was running good temp wise. A day or so before twice it "lost oil pressure" and by that I mean the derpy
L-----H pressure gauge dropped to low, I pulled over asap thinking the connection just came off the sender, but nope. still on tight, connections are good. Weird. I don't know 110%, but I have had it happen before so I guess you could say I have a solid hypothesis. I automatically assume the worst until I can take it apart and look at it. I hope I can get by with just having the crank turned 10/10 at the most and the rods, whatever the shop decided is best.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Now that I think about it, it could be a rounded off lobe, but I highly doubt it. It sounds very rod knocky to me.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know about Fords but a GM broken flex plate will sound like a rod knock. I have also heard a water pump bearing knock. It's hard to determine where a knock is coming from just listening to the engine. If you start the engine and let it idle of you remove one plug wire at a time the rod that is knocking will change or stop knocking when you remove that spark plug wire.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I've heard of that method, I can try it. I think it's cylinder #8 (back driver's side piston) because that one always had a slight miss and there was oil on the plugs, new and old, when I checked and changed them.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't know about Fords but a GM broken flex plate will sound like a rod knock. I have also heard a water pump bearing knock. It's hard to determine where a knock is coming from just listening to the engine. If you start the engine and let it idle of you remove one plug wire at a time the rod that is knocking will change or stop knocking when you remove that spark plug wire.
See the engine won't idle worth sh*t if I don't gas it so it seems like a knock to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor