Does anybody use a zddp oil or additive in their car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I run royal purple, what does zinc additive do?

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I thought I read they had drastically reduced the zinc in Rotella several years ago?
Maybe? I ran the Rotella diesel in my 3.8 for about 60k miles (83.5-155k), gave the engine to HooptieWagon, then he took it apart. It was clean as a whistle. I started running it when I noticed the oil light coming on after a highway run. The 15w-40 took care of that little nuisance.

As far as Rislone, I tried it to free up a sticky valve/lifter in the Series 2, and it didn't live up to it's claim. Again, Rotella (10w-30 this time) fixed it. When I had a flat tappet in the Olds 400G, I ran several different oils. The Lucas Hot Rod and Musclecar oil was fairly economical and claims to have the ZDDP package. Brad Penn does, too, but, shooooweee, that stuff is pricey at around $100/ 12qts.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What temps are you running this in? A little secret SN+ oils in a 0,5 or 10W30 are limited to 800/900 ppm zinc and phos. Now a 0,5,10 or 15W40 or 50 oil in SN can have much higher ZDDP. This is how VR1 in 20W50 has 1300/1300 ppm and is SN rated. There 10W30 is SL rated with similar ZDDP numbers. I believe the CJ-4 Diesel oil numbers are actually lower than SN gas oil in 40 or 50W. Our companies Diesel went from 1300 ppm to 900 ppm with more moly for the CJ-4 synthetic and synthetic blends. i think our conventional diesel oil is around 1000 ppm. It is due to plugged diesel particulate filters. New big truck diesels are unreliable POS, the DEF systems especially and fuel mileage is horrible, all to save the environment.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Semi-related question, is there any way to find out if my engine has flat tappets or rollers?

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
Would anyone recommend using this oil? Seems to be exactly what's needed here

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The only issue is if your motor is leaking, a synthetic may cause it to leak more. Amsoil is a good oil. Something like Valvoline VR1 10W30 would also work fine.

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
New big truck diesels are unreliable POS, the DEF systems especially and fuel mileage is horrible, all to save the environment.

What? You don't Believe is Science?

Bill Clinton's EPA in 1997 used a fake, government funded study that said PM 2.5 was going to kill 10,000 people/year if we didn't do something!!!!!!!!! For the Children!!!!!!

So they started the 10 year clock on regulations that killed the Diesel car/light Truck in America (unless they cheated) and eventually rolled up to medium duty truck.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I beat this horse to death back when I rebuilt my Jeep's 4.0 engine. Attitudes everywhere about zinc. Bottom line was that a low lift cammed, weak-springed, grocery-getter engine does not need a lot of zinc. There is still some zinc in all oil but they have added other things to make up for it because wear does occur on other components. What I did on initial fire-up was use a good brand of regular dino oil, and added a packet of ZDDPlus brand just for the heck of it for break-in purposes. Once we were sure there were no leaks or expensive noises we changed the oil to the very good Chevron Supreme 5w-30 but left out the ZDDP. After 500 miles we changed the oil and again left out the ZDDP. Not a peep out of the engine.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What? You don't Believe is Science?

Bill Clinton's EPA in 1997 used a fake, government funded study that said PM 2.5 was going to kill 10,000 people/year if we didn't do something!!!!!!!!! For the Children!!!!!!

So they started the 10 year clock on regulations that killed the Diesel car/light Truck in America (unless they cheated) and eventually rolled up to medium duty truck.
I drive a Frieghtliner everyday, they are junk. My truck has just over 100Km, not miles. Every single part of the DEF system has been replaced. Also Detroit diesel can't make an ****ing serpentine belt set up that stays on the motor. Getting 1/2 the mileage, these new diesels better be burning clean. No, I don't believe science from stupid people. Everyone has their own agenda, last person I would believe is a lying Elitest trying to avoid jail. People and companies are no doubt profiting off climate change but people affect this planet a huge amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor