Does anybody use a zddp oil or additive in their car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
DEF has zero to do with Climate change. It actually is worse for Climate change... And NOBODY gave a crap about Climate Change in 1997, since "the Hottest year evah" wasn't until 1998.

It's just junk science rolling downhill and another way for government to control stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
DEF has zero to do with Climate change. It actually is worse for Climate change... And NOBODY gave a crap about Climate Change in 1997, since "the Hottest year evah" wasn't until 1998.

It's just junk science rolling downhill and another way for government to control stuff.
Never said spraying fertilizer into the exhaust stream is a good idea. Thank the Germans for that great idea. It also freezes below -11, we have 6 months of that here, the heaters fail too. Unfortunately NOX emissions from diesels are high. Acid rain has killed many lakes in Ontario and Quebec. Biodiesel is great, extensive testing done right here in Saskatchewan. Although black mold is a by product. It lowers every emission except NOX, raises it slightly, along with better lubrication, important since they removed the sulphur from diesel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I toss a couple of capfuls of the old school version of GM's EOS into the cars with the flat tappets and run Mobil 1 oil per oil change. NEVER had an oil-related issue doing it that way.

Does it help? I dunno. Does it hurt? No. Hasn't clogged any converters, so I'm going to run it that way until they don't run anymore.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
The only issue is if your motor is leaking, a synthetic may cause it to leak more. Amsoil is a good oil. Something like Valvoline VR1 10W30 would also work fine.
I run Valvoline VR1 in my 3.8 V6 Cutty with approximately 134xxx og miles on it. I prefer this myself for it.

Mike231

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2020
Maryland
I bought the Rislone product on line in a box of 8? 12? I have two Air Cooled VWs (66 Bug and 69 Ghia). Both have non-stock bigger engines, so I use it all the time. I talked to several people and also read that too much is not good. so I ended up using half a bottle per oil change. My engines hold about 5 1/2 quarts of oil. I only put about 2500 miles per warm weather driving, and change it every spring. My one engine is 15 years old, and I have not had any cam lobe problems per seat of the pants measuring.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
I run Lucas Hot Rod in my 403. I was reading it has higher levels of Zinc in it. Figured it cant hurt and its not crazy expensive. This is my super scientific 2 cents.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A stock hydraulic cam in these 110 hp marvels is so mild, probably the cheapest oil is fine. It is too bad they changed the old Quaker State Defy. Available almost anywhere, 1000 to 1100 ppm ZDDP, on the higher end of the allowed viscosity for a 5 or 10W30 weight. Now they still claim more zinc but an SN 30W oil is only allowed 800/900 ppm ZDDP. There is info on the PPM on nearly every brand. I just picked up some old stock SL and SM 10W40 in the Sonic(Coop) brand, I am a fuel truck driver for them. I actually had issues running Coop's high ZDDP diesel oil in my Olds V8's. I don't know if the detergent or other additives caused the piston rings to stick but they did. We use the good, shipped from the US to our refinery in Regina, POA synthetic base for our oils. Our company even had a SN rated 20W50 synthetic blend they will be discontinuing. I put 5W50 full synthetic, SM rated, Motorbike oil, supposedly has a hyper ZDDP package safer for catalytic converters in the Olds 350 for winter use.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Bill Clinton's EPA in 1997 used a fake, government funded study that said PM 2.5 was going to kill 10,000 people/year if we didn't do something!!!!!!!!! For the Children!!!!!!

Glad I'm not the only person who remembered that crock of sh*t.

Quite a lot of things are exposed, but "quietly" over time.. eg. the mainstream media doesn't cover or "get behind" a story to push it.. Unless, of course you pay them well, or your political affiliation starts with a D, then all bets are off and they'll push anything, regardless if its true or not.. Its all about the money.

Ice age: Cost us Money
Acid Rain: Cost us Money
Global Warming: Cost us Money
Ozone Layer: Cost us Money

Just like this whole 'rona thing shouldn't even be a pandemic anymore, but no politician is going to let a good crisis go to waste...

-Gonz

• Agree

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I toss a couple of capfuls of the old school version of GM's EOS into the cars with the flat tappets and run Mobil 1 oil per oil change. NEVER had an oil-related issue doing it that way.

Does it help? I dunno. Does it hurt? No. Hasn't clogged any converters, so I'm going to run it that way until they don't run anymore.

Precisely how I use ZDDP Additives.. I don't dump a ton in, but more like a 1/4 of a bottle (when the directions say add the whole thing).

I don't run converters unless the law makes me.

-Gonz

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You guys using racing oil on the street.... you do realize that it has much less detergents than regular oil and is made to be changed out very frequently???

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor