does anyone have Mitchell or All Data???

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I'd really apreciate it if someone could copy and post a fuel pump wireing diagram for an 87 monte with a 4.3 FI. I'm trying to figure out what color wire to my fuel pump is switched so I can hook it to an ignition hot. Thanks if anyone can help.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Most likely it runs off a relay located under the hood. The ECU probably just grounds it when it is switched on, like it does with electric fans. The power end is already switched if this is so. I am thinking it runs like this since GM liked to wire it's cooling fans this way in the 80's.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
how would I go about figureing out where to look for a relay? When I key on I get fuel pressure for like 2 seconds but then it goes away right away. So basicly my car only runs for like 10 seconds at a time! :x I think your right though, I do hear a relay click somewhere towards the right side under the hood. I just can't make it from my ignition switch up and over there in time to figure out where its at. What would you do? Take a look at
http://www.racetronix.com/RX-G7-FPWHG.html
this is the harness I put in but I'm now figureing out it's only a power upgrade harness and not a source harness.

flip66

Apprentice
Nov 26, 2007
wireing

According the shop manual diagram it will be on the firewall in the middle. Has an orange, red, grn/wht, blk/wht, and brn wires.

grn,wht from comp to relay
Orange power
blk/wht ground
brn to tan/wht on oil pressure switch and fuel pump
Red fuel pump primer but does not looked to be hooked to anything

May be a bad oil pressure switch

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
well,,,I don't have an oil pressure switch anymore, not the factory one anyway, I'm trying to get my pump to run for my 350 I just put in but it only runs for the first couple secs after key on thus my car only runs for a couple secs. The wireing harness I listed a link to earlier I bought believeing that it would take care of this problem, obviously I didn't do my research. :oops: Any how I'm trying to figure out how to get my pump to stay running without haveing to rewire the whole thing. Can I hook a hot switched wire to any one wire on my relay or even my pump that'll fix this or do I need to juice my oil pressure switch or something??? What do you think?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, putting it through the oil pressure switch would be ideal for several reasons. First, if you roll the car, the fuel pump does not keep pushing fuel to feed any fire that may erupt. Second, if the engine loses oil pressure for any reason, it will shut the car down and may save it from going on too long.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I agree, but do you think running a hot wire to a factory oil switch wire will take care of my problem? All I could find in a Chilton manual was that tan/white came from the switch to the pump, it's gotta be it (I think). Well I gotta go to work but I'll let you know tonight.

BACKSLAP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2008
give me a fax # i will fax you the paper work i have a shop i use alldata every day. give me a list of diagrams you need. i cant scan or email i am retarted so get me a fax # or i guess a mailing address if you need to go that way, thanks. hope i can help ya

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Thanks alot man, actually I figured it out, the tan/white wire is a remote to my fuel pump and I just hooked a temp wire to my dist. to get it all to work, problem solved. But I just got done saveing your number. Definatly appreciate the effort. Whats your name? I'm Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor