Doing A/C Lines after an engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
There is always the option to make your own A/C plumbing with braided lines and connectors without any special tools. Granted, the connectors are expensive, but so is the tool. If you make hoses for a living, then it's probably worth investing in a tool, but for a single (or even two) cars, making your own braided lines does make sense. Just my two cents (Canadian). ;)

Here are a couple of pics from my 83 GP:

GP Engine Bay 002.jpg GP Engine Bay 012.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
There is always the option to make your own A/C plumbing with braided lines and connectors without any special tools. Granted, the connectors are expensive, but so is the tool. If you make hoses for a living, then it's probably worth investing in a tool, but for a single (or even two) cars, making your own braided lines does make sense. Just my two cents (Canadian). ;)

Here are a couple of pics from my 83 GP:

View attachment 98911 View attachment 98912
You guys are just showing off at this point. ;) But seriously, those are some good looking set ups. It is good to know all the AC lines can be done with AN line. I personally like to do long runs with hardline If at all possible. It signals forethought and a high skill level when I see well bent tubing.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Sorry for making it look like "showing off" -- it was not the intent. Just tying to help point out what's possible and how I did it. I'm just a guy working on my car (with my son) in my garage, in my spare time. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sorry for making it look like "showing off" -- it was not the intent. Just tying to help point out what's possible and how I did it. I'm just a guy working on my car (with my son) in my garage, in my spare time. :)
Just some jokes. Forums and Youtube Videos are all about showing off our work for the benefit of others. What you guys have done is truly impressive. Keep up the good work and share more. I'm sure there is someone out there who will be ecstatic to stumble across this thread and find just what they are looking for. It doesn't get much better than working in the garage with your kids. Even if their help is more like "help."

• Friendly

Scott78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2019
I did a custom install of a Vintage Air unit on a non G-Body. I, too, made up all my own lines. But I don't have the tool. I took mine to a radiator shop that also services AC and he crimped them for me for about $25.
I did a ls swap in my 78 cutlass with a new ac compressor my original lines wouldn't work how did you make your own ?or where should I go to get them made?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just recently made my own hoses for my Regal project using Goodyear standard barrier hose and the tool mentioned earlier on this thread and Vintage Air hose ends.

20190524_163751_resized.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Where did you buy your hose and ends at?
I bought Four Seasons hose in a 30' box from Amazon that is actually Goodyear Standard Barrier hose and the hose ends I bought some for my Monte direct from Vintage Air and some from Cold Hose who carries the same fittings.
https://coldhose.com/fittings.html

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I did a ls swap in my 78 cutlass with a new ac compressor my original lines wouldn't work how did you make your own ?or where should I go to get them made?

I bought a universal hose kit from Vintage Air when I bought the rest of the components. It also came with a bunch of assorted fittings. As I got more deeply into the install, I ended up ordering a few more specialized fittings from VA to allow me to route the stuff the way I wanted it. Once I had everything mocked up, I took the hoses off and to a local radiator shop that also serviced AC and had them crimp the fittings on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor