Doing A/C Lines after an engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I don't think anyone has ever done this at home on the Forum before. NICE WORK documenting that it can be done. I particularly like the little clip at the end showing how the axial compressor pump works! On big ships this is what was used to provide 'power steering' for the huge rudder. By tilting a plate, you could change/reverse the stroke of the axial pistons, and return it to idle with the pate centered.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't think anyone has ever done this at home on the Forum before. NICE WORK documenting that it can be done. I particularly like the little clip at the end showing how the axial compressor pump works! On big ships this is what was used to provide 'power steering' for the huge rudder. By tilting a plate, you could change/reverse the stroke of the axial pistons, and return it to idle with the pate centered.
I do a lot of A/C work here in Las Vegas. It was a natural progression of personal curiosity to make my own lines. I was really nervous about how it was going to turn out. Now that it's done I think most mechanically inclined people could do it if they have enough attention to detail. In my signature there is a video I did on general A/C servicing.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bought the same crimper (really good reviews) to make my lines when the time comes but I am doing a complete system using a trunk mount unit.
I have only made brackets and mounted the compressor so far and working my way back.
It's nice to see that someone else on here has used that tool with good results.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I bought the same crimper (really good reviews) to make my lines when the time comes but I am doing a complete system using a trunk mount unit.
I have only made brackets and mounted the compressor so far and working my way back.
It's nice to see that someone else on here has used that tool with good results.
That is a mighty clean looking set-up you have. Are you planning on running hardline to the long runs? if you do, there are weld-on connectors that any specialty A/C shop can do for you. It would keep that clean install looking incredibly clean.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That is a mighty clean looking set-up you have. Are you planning on running hardline to the long runs? if you do, there are weld-on connectors that any specialty A/C shop can do for you. It would keep that clean install looking incredibly clean.
Thanks for the compliment.
I am still in the mock up stages for mounting the trunk mount, all of my components are from Vintage Air and I was considering their 5' pre-made hardlines for the frame area but I still am not sure how the lines will actually run but I was also thinking I might be better off running just the Parker standard barrier line because of the distance to keep it better insulated.
I have these lines pictured below leading off the compressor and would like to run braided lines from there to get out of the engine compartment to match the rest but the reviews are not that good for braided lines.

20180910_204421-1_resized.jpg

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I did a custom install of a Vintage Air unit on a non G-Body. I, too, made up all my own lines. But I don't have the tool. I took mine to a radiator shop that also services AC and he crimped them for me for about $25.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks for the compliment.
I am still in the mock up stages for mounting the trunk mount, all of my components are from Vintage Air and I was considering their 5' pre-made hardlines for the frame area but I still am not sure how the lines will actually run but I was also thinking I might be better off running just the Parker standard barrier line because of the distance to keep it better insulated.
I have these lines pictured below leading off the compressor and would like to run braided lines from there to get out of the engine compartment to match the rest but the reviews are not that good for braided lines.

View attachment 98899

That's a good point on the insulation bit. I didn't even think of the loss in cooling on an uninsulated line. I wonder if you couldn't use that as an advantage and keep your high pressure line uninsulated to dissipate the heat a bit more. If you put the orifice tube or expansion valve in the trunk it wouldn't matter if either one were insulated.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I did a custom install of a Vintage Air unit on a non G-Body. I, too, made up all my own lines. But I don't have the tool. I took mine to a radiator shop that also services AC and he crimped them for me for about $25.
That is a pretty good idea. but why pay $25 to have a professional do it when you could do it yourself for $600.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is the evaporator sitting in trunk, it has a center return and two outlets that will be mounted up on the rear deck and the condenser will be under the car where the gas tank used to be with an electric fan and I have a dryer with a trinary switch I have to plumb in also.
20180804_162516_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor