>>Don't Want To Get Snowballed<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
It's not every day you go shopping for a Engine transplant to be done at a shop. What would be a fair price to expect?

What I have now: Clean 82' Regal- 3.8NA Knocking with the wimpy transmission. >>> What I am looking for: A dependable Mild built SBC-350.<<< Nothing fancy...... I can do upgrades later. I realize I will also have to upgrade the transmission. Also from reading the swap section stickies, I will have to beef-up the front suspension < This I can do on my own.

I'm sick and tired of going out to the garage and seeing her just sit there. If you look at the pic in my profile gallery she is clean. I've had for 5 years and have only driven' her 2 years.... :puke:

Told the ole'Lady if I keep saying "well, maybe next year....

Found some shops locally (Toledo, Ohio) I plan to visit that I looked up that have good marks thru the B.B.B. I don't know any good shops locally as I normally do all my own work....

Tax Return Refund = Game on.......

Any questions or things to look for when shopping for a Good mechanic will also be appreciated....

Thanks <Mike>

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
My advice... buy a good, complete, original core motor and have it rebuilt...unless you are willing to trust a stranger who is selling a "rebuilt" engine.... same with the transmission. As for advice, I would go to the local advance/autozone, Napa, etc. and talk to the commercial managers. Ask them who they would recommend for swaps, engine builds, etc....because these guys know who and where the right shops are because they deal with them everyday....the good shops pay their bills, return less parts, and keep a clean, well organized shop. Then, get some quotes from 3-4 different shops and ask them how long they expect the swap to take, although quicker isnt always better in this situation, but you do want a time frame...the good shops are usually pretty busy, so they can take longer to do a better job. And, also remember, theres always the unknowns and the little extras that can add to the price. Make a list and collect as much as you can of the swap related parts and have them ready to take to the shop. Such as...radiator, alternator, hoses, belts, mounts, senders and sensors, etc.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
bill said:
My advice... buy a good, complete, original core motor and have it rebuilt...unless you are willing to trust a stranger who is selling a "rebuilt" engine.... same with the transmission. As for advice, I would go to the local advance/autozone, Napa, etc. and talk to the commercial managers. Ask them who they would recommend for swaps, engine builds, etc....because these guys know who and where the right shops are because they deal with them everyday....

I was thinking the shop would find the Motor/Trans for me? Then (in writing) warranty the work for 3 months - If they are a Reputable shop and want my chunk of cash that should be no problem. No Warranty = NO DEAL

Great idea about talking to the local parts store managers.......

Back to my opening post >> What should i expect ball park for a basic 350 swap? 1,500 / 2,000?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
You can certainly allow them to find it for you, but often, they will add to the price, much like all parts they provide. So, if you prefer to get a complete swap quote, parts, labor, etc ....thats your decision. I remember as a young man, I paid a shop to swap a motor for me....they charged me about 800 bucks. That was 30yrs ago. They got a used motor out of a junk yard...and it blew up about 3 months down the road because there was an oil leak and it ran dry. I got another engine and they swapped it for free, but it broke me, and I sold the car. So, you get what you pay for.... keep us posted

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
If at all, is it possible you can find a good backyard mechanic you can bring it to? It makes me cringe when I hear people paying $1000 plus just for the swap on these older cars. (minus engine.) They're about as simple as they come and people are wanting to charge an arm and a leg to put an engine in them. I need to build a bigger garage and help people out!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not start a thread asking who in here is local or close to you. They may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. It's too bad you not close by to me. We have a spot in the race shop where we work on cars to make some $$ to pay off the rent

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Im in lima during the week for college and sandusky during the weekend for work. I would offer my help seeing as I have done 2 engine swps in mine already but Toledo is just too far of a drive to repeatedly make with my schedules. Im actually going to Toledo this thursday morning to go to Guitar Center but that will probably be the last time in a long while. Good luck man

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
bill said:
You can certainly allow them to find it for you, but often, they will add to the price, much like all parts they provide. So, if you prefer to get a complete swap quote, parts, labor, etc ....thats your decision. I remember as a young man, I paid a shop to swap a motor for me....they charged me about 800 bucks. That was 30yrs ago. They got a used motor out of a junk yard...and it blew up about 3 months down the road because there was an oil leak and it ran dry. I got another engine and they swapped it for free, but it broke me, and I sold the car. So, you get what you pay for.... keep us posted
I remember also being a young man and unfortunately getting duked. That's why I do 98% of my own work. Too bad a few bad mechanics/shops can easily ruin it for all the good shops that I believe are out there. I'm 40 and been working on cars for years but No engine swap to mention. Too bad you didn't notice that oil leak! My ole man pounded it in my head as a boy to watch for drips on the pavement and check the dipstick once a week..... Thanks <Mike>

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
pontiacgp said:
why not start a thread asking who in here is local or close to you. They may be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. It's too bad you not close by to me. We have a spot in the race shop where we work on cars to make some $$ to pay off the rent
You have always been a great asset to this forum..... You helped me alot last winter when I was redoing my rear brake backer plates. Thank you! Wish I had a Hoist and the confidence I would do it myself.

By the way the back brakes work fine....... Thanks again rocketdoggy for your help <Mike>

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Blew86442 said:
If at all, is it possible you can find a good backyard mechanic you can bring it to? It makes me cringe when I hear people paying $1000 plus just for the swap on these older cars. (minus engine.) They're about as simple as they come and people are wanting to charge an arm and a leg to put an engine in them. I need to build a bigger garage and help people out!
That's just it. I have all the tools in the world/Garage and do my best to be a 40 year old back yard mechanic but I have no Engine hoist nor the confidence to rip into a re-build. Damn-it...... It would take me 2 years to do a re-build properly and a hell of alot of beer Vs 2 months at a shop...... <Mike>

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor