Dont you hate when people hack up rare cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
or valuable. Every field that deals in "old stuff" has to contend with the folks that think just because they have something old and maybe rare that its suddenly worth a kajillion dollars. The antique radio field is rife with this. Yeah its old and rare simply because there aren't many left but I won't give you more than $20 for it because a) it doesn't work b) the wood is trash and c) its just not worth the $400 you're asking. Or its some crap late 60's/70's solid state console with an 8-track that nobody wants. I have a few of these in my shop I literally can't give away.

but

Really nice old sets that actually are worth something cut up and the guts thrown away to make some shitty "shabby chic" faux-weathered wine rack or aquarium or whatever. Just like "well, that's gone forever, thanks, jerk!" Same with legit low number rare cars that ARE desirable. Once its cut up and the parts tossed in the bin, its gone forever. "More than the sum of its parts" etc.

The Yugo is kind of an interesting case. They were garbage from the start, they basically all fell apart or dissolved in rust. The survivors are "rare" but since they're still considered garbage with no aesthetic or functional value, and no aftermarket to speak of (I'm just guessing on that) literally nobody wants them except for a very few weird enthusiasts. rare =/= desirable =/= valuable
I agree too with what your saying 100%. However, I truly give deep thought to, or perhaps, have a new respect for, someone who wants that 1 of ? Yugo convertible or that rustic looking warped wood faded non working radio for what ever reason, just because my own personal opinion on what I may think something is worth because I wouldn't give it, OR collect it for that matter, is truly irrelevant to what someone may pay, OR want to collect. When I go antiquing, often times Ill be looking at something, and the owner will come over and start a conversation on it, and by time I leave, I have learned and have a new respect for why its collectible to them and why they think its worth what their asking, not saying you don't run across the occasional nut jobs LMAO!! I'm sure there are people who think collecting "G body cars" is crazy and to them, they aren't worth crap. i'm happy there are so many people collecting so many different things, because if everyone wanted a G body car, we would no longer be able to find one under 50K lol, supply and demand ratio kicking in for sure. The world is a big pot of soup, and each one of us is an ingredient, life sure would taste like sh*t if we were all the same ingredient. :)

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I'm sure there are followers for any type of oddball car out there. As you mentioned, the East German Trabant for instance. There is actually a following for those built like sh*t cars. I wouldn't be at all surprised that there's a following for the Yugo as well. It's hard to believe that people bought these cars...
But of course, as the old adage goes, there's a seat for every *ss and an *ss for every seat.
you asked for it :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
I agree too with what your saying 100%. However, I truly give deep thought to, or perhaps, have a new respect for, someone who wants that 1 of ? Yugo convertible or that rustic looking warped wood faded non working radio for what ever reason, just because my own personal opinion on what I may think something is worth because I wouldn't give it, OR collect it for that matter, is truly irrelevant to what someone may pay, OR want to collect. When I go antiquing, often times Ill be looking at something, and the owner will come over and start a conversation on it, and by time I leave, I have learned and have a new respect for why its collectible to them and why they think its worth what their asking, not saying you don't run across the occasional nut jobs LMAO!! I'm sure there are people who think collecting "G body cars" is crazy and to them, they aren't worth crap. i'm happy there are so many people collecting so many different things, because if everyone wanted a G body car, we would no longer be able to find one under 50K lol, supply and demand ratio kicking in for sure. The world is a big pot of soup, and each one of us is an ingredient, life sure would taste like sh*t if we were all the same ingredient. :)
Heck there are even G body folks who like/prefer wagons!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Heck there are even G body folks who like/prefer wagons!

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
But there's the rub...he did it as a business decision. Buy it for whatever price, use and abuse it and write off on his taxes. He surely couldn't have done it because he loved the car. You'll never convince me of that. And he lucked out. I recall some of the reviews when that car came out... they rolled the window up and the handle fell off in the guy's hand. On a brand new press car!!!

A girl I used to work with had one that her dad bought her new. It was a baby blue color. She nicknamed it "Singer" because she said it reminded her of her sewing machine when it was running. I said it probably had about the same power. I remember her starter went out and she had to wait over a MONTH for a new one to be imported. She had a lot of problems with hers. YU GO-----or you don't.

Jack's other cars were a '61 Desoto, 62 Plymouth station wagon and a '54 Chrysler imperial. Those weren't his "collection", those were the other cars he drove instead of the Yugo's. I think he actually loved to drive the Yugo's.

His job and hobby was fixing old Crap, so a totalitarian communist build '70's Fiat would be right up his alley. All of the performance, handling, quality and rust resistance of a '60's mid line Chrysler product at 1960's prices.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
One in a local yard that scrapped out in the fall of 2014. I wish I removed more parts from all of the g-bodies(especially the wagons which were off my radar at the time) but did what I could.
RegalSommersetTroy14.jpg

Last edited:

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I guess Im one them guys ,ain't gonna lie it hurt cutting a hole in the floor for a 4 speed shifter in my someset

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I remember the 1980's fondly. I ordered a 1986 Mustang GT with the 5 speed, red with gray leather leather interior, I had a buddy with '86 GN and he ran 12.9's in it in April 1986, 100% stock, with the NOS nitrous kit.

Somerset Regals were bought new by 65-70 year olds. If I ran across one 15 years after they were new, I would have Zero issues radiusing the fenders and turning one into a Saturday night dirt track car.

1985 Hot Air Turbo Regals are "Rare" but you can swap in an '86-87 Intercooled Turbo top end for cheaper than restoring an '85 Motor's top end

Some history just isn't worth preserving.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor