Door Hinge Spring - Wearing Hinge Bushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I remove my driver's door to service the hinges. The lower hinge bushings were slightly loose. The uppers were quite loose. My theory - prove me wrong: since the weight of the door is pulling on the top hinge and pushing on the bottom hinge shouldn't the bushing wear be the same on the upper and lower? The force on the hinges is, lets say 100 lbs pulling on the upper and 100 lbs(negative) pushing on the lower. The only item I can see is the door detent spring putting a great deal of pressure on the top hinge bushings accelerating wear.
Would a lower pressure spring cause less wear on the hinge and yet still offer detent resistance?
Do I win pizza dinner or am I out to lunch?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I remove my driver's door to service the hinges. The lower hinge bushings were slightly loose. The uppers were quite loose. My theory - prove me wrong: since the weight of the door is pulling on the top hinge and pushing on the bottom hinge shouldn't the bushing wear be the same on the upper and lower? The force on the hinges is, lets say 100 lbs pulling on the upper and 100 lbs(negative) pushing on the lower. The only item I can see is the door detent spring putting a great deal of pressure on the top hinge bushings accelerating wear.
Would a lower pressure spring cause less wear on the hinge and yet still offer detent resistance?
Do I win pizza dinner or am I out to lunch?
It's an interesting thought. I don't know. The upper hinge always has all the wear on it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think the top wears more cause the top is being pulled with the weight of the door but there not much leverage on the lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor