Door latch issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
So I fixed the striker bolt on my Cutlass on friday night. It was plated over and the adjustable nut was tack welded and wouldnt adjust blah blah blah. So I fix it right and put the striker back in and close the door. Well the damn thing wont open now...

Pull the handle, you hear the mechanism move on the latch and nothing happens. So I wrestle with it for about an hour and wind up banging all the tabs flat on the slider nut inside so I can unscrew it from the striker. So I open it and get the door open and take the latch mechanism out.

Looking at the latch mechanism it appears as if the mechanism that opens the release for the latch has broken off and isnt allowing it to release open so its basically stuck closed.

Has anyone ever had this happen? It seems like an odd thing to break.

O and follow up question. Are all g body door latches the same?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
lift up on the door, and not by the handle, when trying to open it...and a dumb question but the door isn't locked is it?

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Believe me I tried everything. The mechanism in the latch broke and wasnt releasing the catch.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I have actually heard of a few other stuck door g-bodies. Perhaps that's a more common issue than one would think. Why not buy another latch mechanism off a junkyard car and install that? Sounds like that'd fix your problem.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
More than likely what I will do. The only one listed on ebay is pricey @ $60. A 4 door car latch is $18....

That being said Im gonna pull my passenger side one just to make sure Im not seeing things with this one being broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor